Monday, June 24, 2013

Your Highest Calling


“Become your highest you, your best you, your strongest you.”

-Loretta Claiborne

Your Highest Calling

Once in a while I meet someone who really makes me look at myself; someone who challenges my view of the world as well as my view of myself.  This was the case when I met Loretta Claiborne during breakfast.
Loretta grew up with a mental handicap and was one of seven children.  She wasn’t able to speak until she was four so when she started school she was challenged.  In fact, after a while the principal called to meet with her mother and told her that they wouldn’t be able to educate Loretta.

“My mother looked at him and said, “I have seven kids not six.  You will educate her!”
She said, “My mother wanted her children to receive two things, a good education and respect.”

 Loretta beamed as she relayed her story.  She knew that her mother cared for her and was her advocate.  It was her mother’s strength that kept her moving forward.  But, there was another challenge in front of Loretta. 
“I never felt as if I had a voice!  My decisions were always made for me.  Now I layout my own road map.” She said.  From that moment it didn’t take her long to discover her true path.

One day a teacher gave her a flyer and asked her to take it home to her mother.  When she got home, she handed it to her mother who read it and immediately wadded it up to through it away.  Luckily her aunt was there and said, “Let her give it a try.  It may be a chance for her to channel her feisty spirit.”
As a result, Loretta began to participate in track events.  She had found what she was really good at and she poured her passion into it.  Now, years later, she’s competed in events worldwide and is a global speaker.   Her message is one based on her personal discovery.

 “One day, I became frustrated and went home to tell my mother that I was going to quit.  I’ll never forget the lesson my mother taught me.  She said, ‘You stop now and you’ll always stop. You quit now and you’ll always quit.  You don’t ever quit!’  Ever since then, I’ve never quit.”
It isn’t that Loretta hasn’t been challenged since she learned not to quit.   She has.  When she decided to learn to play tennis and she worked for five years before she was able to defeat her greatest rival.  Her never ending commitment to become her best is the secret to her success.

It’s a secret she happily shares so I wanted to share it with you.  “Become your highest you, your best you, your strongest you.”  Loretta says.  You can do it!
When I looked at the smiling face before me I felt a new courage and a new personal commitment to follow Loretta’s advice.  It is everyone’s highest calling.  Will you accept the challenge?

No comments: