Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dreaming or Creating


“I wanted this do badly that I stayed up visualizing a successful closing all night.”

-Gary Christensen

Dreaming or Creating

My phone was ringing from call after call as I worked to get the final details of a transaction complete.  We had been working for weeks to get everything in order.  There had been challenges from many different fronts; not the least of which was the IRS.
It had taken an almost herculean effort to get the IRS the documentation they required to show that all of the past obligations had been satisfied, but we had finally gotten it done!  Now, on the way to the settlement another issue had popped up so I was scrambling to get it laid aside within the next hour.  It seemed as if with every step forward there was some invisible barrier to impede the next step.  Now we were finishing the final step.

I arrived to sign the final documents a little bit early to make sure everything was in order.  It wasn’t too long before Gary came through the door.  When he arrived, we sat and talked.  He looked a little tired.  It wasn’t what I was expecting to see.
I was expecting to see a face that was joyful and relieved.  We were at the finish line!  He had overcome the obstacle course and was about to receive his prize!  But the prize wasn’t what I was expecting.  It was something completely different than what I had anticipated.

“We’re finally going to close!” I said.  “You’ve done a great job getting everything finished.  Congratulations.  You couldn’t have done anything more.”
It was then that I looked carefully at his long, drawn face.  I knew there was more to the story than I knew.

“I wanted this do badly that I stayed up visualizing a successful closing all night.” Gary replied.
We were sitting here to sign the papers as a result!  I knew it was because he had overcome all the odds by creating his success over the past few weeks.  He really wanted this to happen.  Now my eyes were opened to a string of implausible events that had come together to enable this very moment.

Whenever we had come up to what had appeared to be an insurmountable barrier some little miracle had occurred that had propelled us forward, past the obstacle.  Had it happened just once it may have been a coincidence.  But, it happened on several occasions and had a seemingly happened as if by magic!  Now I knew they weren’t the result of magic!
Gary’s success came from deep inside.  He was visualizing his success every step of the way.   And, he wasn’t just dreaming about it.  The difference between a dreamer and a success creator is simple.  One sits and dreams. The other visualizes and then works through assumption, as if he has already achieved his success.  He creates a very detailed plan, within his being, and then sets about to live every step in the physical world.  Gary was sitting across a table from me and was living proof of this principle.

The proof was in the paper.  The documents were slipped from the hand of the Escrow Agent to Gary for signature.  He signed.  He smiled.  Relief and joy radiated from his whole body.  He was now living in the moment he knew he would.

No comments: