Monday, June 17, 2013

Being More Than an Assignateer

"One of the Special Olympics Athlete friends contacted me through Facebook to invite me to come and watch him compete.  I was so touched it was impossible for me not to go."
-Alexander Fox

Being More Than an Assignateer

A tempest can come in many different forms, a hurricane, blizzard, thunderstorm, or blustering wind.  When I left my car I wasn't expecting difficult weather at all, but after I had walked a couple of hundred yards it was clear that any thoughts of having calm weather had been blow away by the increasing velocity of the wind.
The increasing wind was wreaking all sorts of issues at an event that was supposed to be about competition between people, not competition between people and the elements.  I watched vases filled with flowers tumble from tables and candles follow them, seemingly wrapped in table cloths that appeared to transform into storm clouds.   People were scurrying in all directions in an effort to salvage a reception meant to provide a thank you to those in attendance.

Alex Fox was there.  I had greeted him earlier and then watched as he walked up to the sound system to welcome the crowd.  I've known Alex for almost two years.  We volunteer together for Special Olympics of Utah.  But Alex is more than just a volunteer.
He checks the microphone to make sure it's working and then begins to tell us his experience of giving to Special Olympic Athletes.  I've been on the Board of Trustees of Special Olympics Utah for about two years."  He said.  "When I started, I was committed to volunteering but it wasn't until I got to know our athletes that I began to have my life change in a dramatic way!"

I looked around the gathering to take in the faces surrounding me.  I didn't know very many of them.  Lots of them were there at the invitation of their employers who were sponsors of the Special Olympics Utah Summer Games.  There was no way to know how much time and effort these kind people had given to make this event a huge success.  There was no way for me to peel back the tissue to see what was really in their hearts.  But, I knew what was in Alex's heart.
There was a crack in Alex's voice.  It caused me to shift my attention back to his presentation. 

"One of my Special Olympics Athlete friends contacted me through Facebook to invite me to come and watch him compete.  I was so touched it was impossible for me not to go."
There was another emotional pause.

"Spending time with Special Athletes has changed my life.  They've taught me about strength, honor, effort and love in a way I never could have comprehended."

I looked at the faces watching Alex once again.  There was as different tempest happening.  It was stronger than the one caused by the wind.  It was hundreds of hearts changing from being an "Assignateer", past volunteer, to emotional commitment.

Emotional commitment can only come through interaction between individuals.  I've found that providing service to others is the key to creating a bond of love that can withstand time as well as the storms of life.  It doesn't matter if you're related by blood to those you serve.  What matters is that you truly give of yourself.  When you give from your heart at least two lives will change; the person you serve and most of all, yours.

Volunteer for a good cause today.  Assignments you receive will change you from an Assignateer to a Volunteer and finally to a giver from your heart.  Nothing restricts the good you can do and nothing restricts the love you will receive in return.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just saw this Lynn. Thank you for the kind words. I'm very moved.

Unknown said...

I just saw this. Thank you for the kind words.

Unknown said...

I just saw this. Thank you for the kind words.