Monday, July 1, 2013

Your Brave Moment


“I just don’t think I know how to do this anymore!”

-A Colleague

Your Brave Moment

A round table, with dark tobacco road stain, was resting my arms.  The table had a clear protective cover made of glass and it felt a little moist where my skin touched it.  I could see my colleague sitting on the other side of the table.  She was facing me.
Her position gave me a clear view of her eyes and I could see that she was a little tentative as we began to converse.  As soon as words began to be exchanged it was as if a switch had been tripped and those same eyes came to life as flowing fountains.

I listened to her tell me of her challenges and could tell that they had been draining the life out of her.  She was tired and perhaps more than anything else, she was very afraid.
Hers was a fear I could relate to.  When I saw it erupting out of her it was as if I was feeling the same pain; because that pain had been a resident within my own heart before and I knew of its debilitating effect first hand.  I also knew that it would take great courage for her to face this challenge down and overcome it.  She would need to show herself what she was really made of.

There is a difference between showing other people and showing yourself what you’re really made of.  I didn’t understand the distinction between the two until I was in a position just like my friend’s current situation.  That singular experience taught me that no one can understand true bravery until they discover their own essence.
Most people don’t take the opportunity to understand their own fundamental nature.  They’re too caught up in putting on a good show for the other people around them.  They believe that they are what other people think they are.  Nothing could be farther from the truth. 

It’s far from the truth because there is only one person who can truly see into your heart, knows your true intention, and can make change happen.
Personal change is every individual’s moment of truth.  I knew my friend was at her own moment.  As a result, I was heart-stricken as well as elated for her.  I was heart stricken because going through this one moment is the most painful event most people ever face.  I was elated for her because she would end this one moment by showing her bravery.

Some people crumble and give up at this crossroads.  I could tell she would not collapse.  She was already demonstrating it with the questions she was asking and the actions she was taking.  Bravery is revealed through, first recognizing the crisis; and then facing the crisis, planning a way out of the predicament and actively implementing the plan to success.
When I spoke with her on the phone the next day she was smiling again.  I could tell from the excitement in her voice.  She was living her plan; taking it one step at a time while building on each small success.  Both of us knew it would be a long hard road.  We knew it would be worth it and end in her victory because she was worth it.  Her indomitable heart is the essence of bravery.

Your heart also contains the essence of bravery.  Perhaps you just don’t know it yet.  But you will.  When your moment for bravery comes, recognize it for what it is, face it, plan your way out of it and then live your success.

No comments: