Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Log Jam Effect


“I’m working so hard and I just don’t feel as if I’m making any progress!”

-Jessi Butterfield

The Log Jam Effect

As soon as I lifted my handset to its companion ear I could feel the emotion and stress streaming through to my soul.  I could almost feel the welled up tears tickle my face.
“I’m working so hard and I just don’t feel as if I’m making any progress!” The words flowed from my daughter’s mouth directly into my heart.  She was in distress.

I listened to her tell me what her challenges were and as she spoke I began to see huge logs, dreams, floating down a large river.  They were hewn down, separated from their roots and cast into the water.  The water was their highway to becoming part of something else.  They were to be transformed into her beautiful vision.
My daughter is doing everything she can to fulfill dreams and vision.  She told me of all she had done.  What she had hoped would happen.  Regrettably, all she was seeing at this moment was a jamming of everything she had envisioned.

It was all so vivid in my mind.  I could see the logs flowing and then stopping.  I felt the current, based on her description.  Her dreams had all tangled and gnarled at a bend in her river of life.  Almost anyone would see this mess of logs and think, “No, that’s a jam that will never be untangled!”
I remember saying those exact words on many occasions.  But, that wasn’t the case anymore.  It isn’t the way I view a log jam, because after lots of experience I’ve discovered that what’s happening at the surface is not the whole picture.  The river of life runs deep and its current is strong.  Jessi was seeing a few of her logs get turned a little sideways for a moment.  It has happened to all of us at one time or another.

When this occurs it is easy to focus on those jammed logs and fret about them constantly.  It’s a natural and easy thing to do. 
“You’re still working away to get things flowing again?”  I said quietly to her.

“Yes!  I just hope people will see the good work I’m doing!” She replied.
“Good!  Keep working and remember the power of the river, the flow.  Most people can only see the log jam.  But, that’s only a small part of what’s really happening.  All the work you’re doing.  All the calls, meetings, email and everything else is working.  They’re the depth and current of the river you’re creating and traveling.  Just keep your eye on that current.  It will be strong enough to push all those logs through, to clear the jam if you don’t quit.  It may take a little time, but it will happen.  Your dreams will all flow through if the current you create is strong and steady.”  I explained.

I could hear relief radiating through to my ear now.  She understood the beauty of the river she had created.  She had her faith renewed in its majesty and power.
Your life has the same majesty and power.  Keep pushing your dreams forward and don’t let a small set-back discourage you.  Keep your eye fixed on the depth and current of the river you’ve created and know that you’re transforming your dreams into reality with each stroke you take in the powerful river of life.

No comments: