Monday, March 26, 2012

That's What Neighbors Do


The social at my South fence

It was a Saturday.  You know what that means.  Lots to do around the house!  And, I still had so much work in my business to do that I needed at least a full week just to catch up.  I was feeling a little overwhelmed already and then, as I drove up my driveway on the way home from a meeting, I looked out in my field and counted to one.

Why one you ask?  It’s because that’s the only number I could count to, since there weren’t two large animals there!  “That’s just great,” I said to myself.  “Now, on top of everything else, I need to spend the rest of the afternoon chasing my steer.”

When I got into the house I pulled my trusty field glasses out of the cupboard and began to count my neighbors animals. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!  Yes.  My steer was there.

There are lots of lessons to be learned by participating in a roundup and perhaps the most important one is, “Don’t even try it alone!”  So I picked up the phone and called one of my daughters and her husband to see if they could come and help me.   They kindly obliged and when they arrived we made the long walk to the back of my property to see how “54” had escaped.

It didn’t take long.  The fence was pushed way out and up in a mound just as if it had been pregnant and had given birth to a 600 pound steer.  So, we removed the fence and began to walk to the small herd of cows up ahead.  As we did so, my neighbor and friend John walked out to consult with us.  His help was a welcome relief and we made a plan together.

We’ve done this lots of times before so we’re getting pretty good at it.  But, things don’t always go as planned.  Hope springs eternal!

This time we were able to separate the heard from 54 through the use of food and a corral.  Then we were able to push 54 to the hole in the fence and coax him through with the same lure of food.  It all went very smoothly and it turned out to be not so much of a chore after all.

In the end, we (John, Garrison, Kilee and I) worked together to repair the fence.  John offered his tools, materials and expertise and joined them with ours until we had completed the job in short order.  But, what John provided more than anything else was his friendship.

To say that John is my neighbor is not enough; he is a friend most importantly.  He is a kind and caring man who has never been angry with me even though my cows sometimes ruin our fence and cost him time helping.  He doesn’t have to help, but he does.  He does so just because that’s who he is.

I’m grateful for such a friend and neighbor!  John makes me want to be a better neighbor and friend.  In fact, as I walked back from our fence-side-social, I began to think of things I could do for John as a token of my appreciation.  After all, that’s what neighbors do!

Be the best neighbor you can be.  If you’ll be a great neighbor and friend you’ll find that your life will be enriched as you spend time with the people who live near you.  And, when people ask you why you’re doing it just say, “That’s what neighbors do!”

No comments: