Monday, April 2, 2012

The Fifteen Second Boy

A small boy doing a big thing

The Fifteen Second Boy

I imagined that I felt like a gopher who had been underground working in his tunnels all day as I walked up the long stairs of the Huntsman Center to take a dinner break.  Perhaps one big difference is that I was happy to see the light streaming through the windows.

It refreshed my spirit and brought me comfort as I saw the light and felt its warmth touch my skin as I sat near a window to eat with my friends.  The window was huge and made the world outside seem to be on display for my personal interest.  It’s amazing to me how just taking a few minutes to stare out at the world can be so soothing.  It allows me to see things from a detached perspective that I can’t get when I’m out interacting in it.  Perhaps it’s because I can simply observe the world and really see what it is offering moment by moment.

This was one of those moments.  I was watching a man in a wheel chair begin the long climb up a steep sidewalk to the building in which I sat.  He was struggling to make small progress and I felt prompted to leave the perch of my live television view to help, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a young boy run over and enter the scene.

The Boy was no more than ten years.  He was agile and happy as he joined the push of the wheel chair.  I watched him push and then redouble his efforts as he added his strength to the most difficult part of the hill conquering effort.    It wasn’t a big, hard task for him and it didn’t take more than fifteen seconds before the pair crested the hill.

It then took him about two seconds to give a big heart felt goodbye and a wave as he ran off to join his family again. 

When he arrived, he reached over and took his father’s hand and skipped ahead never giving his generosity a second thought; it was no big deal for him.

I continued to watch the man in the wheelchair; the boy’s help was a big deal to him.  He was smiling broadly.  His strength was restored and he was floating along in a way he wouldn’t have been able to without the kindness of a young boy.

It was time for me to go back to work and I had renewed strength to push my own chair away from the table and began to walk out of the room with the view.  I don’t know if anyone else saw what I saw, but that doesn’t matter.  I felt better inside and committed myself to take an extra fifteen seconds to help others in need whenever I see a chance.

Do you have fifteen seconds to spare?

No comments: