Monday, March 5, 2012

Discovering the Principle of Resilience


“Things happened that weren’t supposed to happen.”
- Crawford Cragun

Discovering the Principle of Resilience
One of the things I’ve learned about life, through experience, is that everything doesn’t always happen the way I want or in the way I expected it to.  I know I’m not the only one who feels that way.  This week held many examples of this and I thought you’d benefit from what I experienced.

 I had one of my close friends and client’s home under contract to a potential buyer.  Everything seemed to be going real well until about the middle of the week when I received an unexpected, and unwelcome, contract cancellation!   Giving such bad news is one of the things that takes a little luster out of my work, but in doing so I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

“John,” I said, “The Buyer has cancelled the deal, but don’t worry, something better will come along.  We simply need to stay focused on moving forward.  There’s nothing we can do to make someone do what they don’t want to do.”

We stuck to our marketing plan and began to move forward again; it paid off and we began to have success immediately.  Still, such bad news isn’t always easy to swallow.
“Lynn, I just can’t put this behind me.” John said.  “Isn’t there anything we can do to get them to come back to the table?”

“No.” I said.  “My experience is that if we stick to our plan and move forward without looking back something better will come along.  We just can’t see it yet.”

“That’s why I work with you.” John replied.

Sure enough within the next two days we received two offers that were better, stronger and for more money than the one that failed!  I can’t explain it!  I just know there is some principle at work here and I’m hoping to one day be able to capture it and internalize it!

I had a similar conversation with my friend Crawford Cragun this week as we discussed the process of finding ones personal passion.  “Things happened that weren’t supposed to happen.” Crawford said as we talked about one small segment of his professional history.

“I can completely relate to that.” I said.  “When I look back on my own business career I can honestly say that perhaps what I’ve been most successful at is remaking myself several times.”

Now that I say that, and I look back more carefully, one thing has become very obvious to me.  That is, when I’ve been able to follow the advice I gave to John earlier in the week things have indeed turned out just fine.  I’ve allowed the past to remain in the past. I’ve adjusted to current situation with both eyes looking to the future.  I’ve kept my plan firmly in mind and my heart fully engaged in seeking my planned success.  Something better, or just as good, has always come my way and I’ve rebounded in a relatively short time.

That’s not to say there aren’t some sleepless nights and a lot of hard work involved.  Hard work and consistent effort will always win out over pure talent alone in the end.  And herein lays the principle I’ve been looking for all these years!

A person who consistently looks to the future with faith, and follows a well conceived plan, while working hard, with their heart fully engaged, will enjoy resilience that always yields success in the long run.

So, next time you’re feeling a little worn and beat up read this Principle of Resilience statement and let its truth give you the hope you deserve!  If you will, you’ll find your true passion and the strength to keep seeking it every day!

No comments: