Monday, February 27, 2012

Increasing Your Fortune


“Thanks for asking, it’s therapeutic to be able to talk with someone about it.”
-Jim McArthur

Increasing Your Fortune
I met Jim for the first time this week; my friend Stacey introduced me to him.  We scheduled a time when I could come to his office so we could get to know each other before we began to do business. 
As we talked, I began to see there were some differences between this meeting and others I’ve had in the past so I asked Jim some questions about his two boys.  What I found out was amazing.

 Jim’s boys have Muscular Dystrophy, but that’s not the amazing part of this story!

Jim, I said, “I’m sorry to be so ignorant, but I don’t really know anything about Muscular Dystrophy. Would you mind teaching me about it?”

He was then kind enough to teach me about this disease and its consequences to the bodies of his boys and also to the rest of his family.  And, toward the end of our conversation he said, “You know, even with all we’ve been through and all that we’re going to go through I’m so glad we have our boys.  I wouldn’t trade our time with them for anything!”

As he talked, I looked across the table and deep into Jim’s eyes.  They are dark brown, sincere eyes, filled with conviction and love.  I could see something else there as well.

“After our oldest was diagnosed, we decided to have more children.” He said.  “We were stunned when some people we know became angry with us for making this decision.  They couldn’t see why we’d want to put another child through this.  They couldn’t see why we’d want to put ourselves through this again.”

Since then, his oldest boy has graduated from high school and is not attending college.  He has accomplished so much.  He has also taught everyone around him so many valuable lessons.  In fact, several people have come back to Jim with an apology for saying he shouldn’t have had more children.  “We simply didn’t understand what the lives of your children would give to us and the world” they said in heartfelt tones.

We talked for about an hour.  I learned a lot.  I felt a lot.  Then I learned more.

“Thanks for talking with me about this.  It’s therapeutic to be able to talk with someone about it” Jim said.

Over the last few days I’ve thought about it again and again.  I’ve thought about all of the times I haven’t taken the time to talk with people in depth.  I thought about all the times I was afraid to ask illuminating questions to those I was speaking with.  How much have I missed?  I’ve asked myself.
At least I didn’t miss this time.  I’m a better, more knowledgeable person for having spent time learning from Jim and because of that I’ve decided that I can become hundreds of times better by simply listening to the life stories of more people I have the good fortune to speak with.

Amazing chance happenings, good fortunes, throughout your life are available to everyone who will listen to and learn from the people they come into contact with.  Try it and you will never regret it.  Cherish those around you.  They are all unique and have amazing stories to tell.

No comments: