Monday, January 28, 2019

A Field of Diamonds


The glistening of the sun on snow

A Field of Diamonds

“When the rain falls, it falls on the whole field.”  Yah Yah Al-Digs said as he smiled at me.

We were talking about company profits then.  I took it at its face value and thought I had understood what he was saying in totality.  Yet, as the years have progressed it has become clear to me that I didn’t know then, and likely will never know, the whole meaning of that treasure-trove proverb.  In the many years since I left Yah Yah, and our office in the Middle East, it has proven to be just like life itself.  Its meaning deepens over minutes, hours, years and decades.

On one glorious morning three days ago, I captured one of those minutes by taking a glimpse outside through a window of my home, only to find that one peek was not enough.  The sky over head was a deep blue.  The sun had recently crawled above the Oquirrh Mountains and its rays revealed an entire field of diamonds!  Of course, my property had not under gone some miraculous transformation into real, stone diamonds.  But, something miraculous was certainly occurring.

The sun was glistening on the snow.  It truly looked like an unfathomable treasure, and it was.  I will not soon forget this magnificent sight or the depth of my appreciation for its splendor.  I desired to hold on to its sight forever.

So, I got my camera and attempted to memorialize it.  Alas!  I am not skilled in photography and my efforts held no reward.  Well, there was one other reward.  Yah Yah’s proverb came flooding back into my memory.  I knew immediately that this exceptional visual and emotional experience had opened the door for me to appreciate another aspect, a deeper meaning, of “When the rain falls, it falls on the whole field.”  I continued to absorb the glistening in front of me, knowing that it was there for anyone, everyone who wanted to relish it. 

Our world offers its beauty freely to all who will take notice, seek for and accept it.  It is offered to everyone as perhaps, life’s greatest treasure.  It can change us, while stirring the depths of our souls if we will be mindful and allow it to freely unfold throughout our life.

“When the rain falls, it falls on the whole field.”  Yah Yah Al-Digs said as he smiled at me.

We were talking about company profits then.  I took it at its face value and thought I had understood what he was saying in totality.  Yet, years later, the glistening snow diamonds viewed through the windows of my home changed me, and it became clear that I didn’t know then, and likely will never know, the whole meaning of that treasure-trove proverb.  It has proven to be just like life itself.  Its meaning and beauty deepens over minutes, hours, years and decades.

No comments: