Monday, February 4, 2019

Stay Hungry


Jake & Madeline Bracken

Stay Hungry!

The winter’s morning was chilling as well as offering.  It offered me a chance to see my friends Jake and Madeline Bracken while testing our hunger against delicious food at Virg’s Restaurant.  I say testing, because the “special burrito” served there is the pure definition of large.  And, on this day, I could tell it met the hunger test when it arrived at our table.

You see, Jake and Madeline had never been to Virg’s.  So, they had never seen this monumental hunger slayer and when our server slung the plates down in front of us, their eyes quickly grew to a comparable size!  A size, I would soon learn, was a perfect match for the hunger they displayed in every area of their lives.  Which was perfect, because our brunch was about more than simply eating food.

While we ate, they also brought me up to date with animated tales of their growing family and careers.  They warmed my heart as they described devotion to their children and each other.  At the same time, they amazed me as they effortlessly detailed the plans they had made to progress toward create greater success.  They inspired me!

In fact, when I left them, my mind continued to expand as it explored how I could follow their example to stay hungry, even when life if fulfilling at the moment.  Jake and Madeline caused me to begin a new path toward continual hunger by asking three key questions.

First.  To what end?  When I first met Jake and Madeline they were taking the second step on their career path.  Because I didn’t know them well at the time, I assumed they would relax after such a large step.  But, they had a clear vision as to what their ultimate destination would be and they had carefully matched their relevant steps to coordinate precise-progression-timing.

Second.  What are the relevant steps?  Relevant steps are every action that one needs to take to get a desired outcome.  Jake and Madeline work together to discuss each step and their strategy to take it.  For them, that means taking trips to different cities so they can “try the community on for size.”  They know which cities they’ll be comfortable living in and this allows them to more effectively progress in every aspect of their lives together.  Such attention to detail makes it easier for them to go out and move forward every day.

Third.  What can I do today?  When Jake and Madeline ask this question, it is more of a checklist than a seeking query.  They already know what will fill their hunger. So, they don’t feel lost.  For them, it’s a lot like ordering their success off a restaurant menu!  They know what they want, as well as what they’ll get, as a result!  Even on a cold winter’s day.

My winter’s morning with Jake and Madeline was chilling as well as offering.  It offered me a chance to see my friends while testing our hunger against delicious food at Virg’s Restaurant.  I say testing, because the “special burrito” served there is the pure definition of large.  And, on this day, I could tell it met the hunger test when it arrived at our table.

You see, Jake and Madeline had never been to Virg’s.  So, they had never seen this monumental hunger slayer and when our server slung the plates down in front of us, their eyes quickly grew to a comparable size!  A size, I soon learned, was a perfect match for the hunger they displayed in every area of their lives.  Which was perfect, because our brunch was about more than simply eating food.  It was about discovering Jake & Madeline’s three questions to stay continually hungry and successful!

No comments: