Monday, January 21, 2019

Before the Dawn


"The lessons I learned from my biggest failures 10 years ago are the very lessons that people now pay me big amounts of money to help them overcome and achieve." – Vic Johnson

Before the Dawn

We just finished 2018.  The 8 in that date is significant.  It is significant for a couple of reasons.  First, in 2008 the world faced one of the largest financial challenges in history.  Second, almost every single person had the opportunity to learn life changing lessons as a result.

Napoleon Hill said, "Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of equal or greater benefit."

Here is the thing, we all have the opportunity to turn failure into success, to turn adversity into lessons learned, challenges into resolve, but it's up to us to see the vision of possibility and have the faith and resolve to get back up and keep moving toward our goals. And when we do that, it is guaranteed that we’ll have something of great benefit to share with others.

I was sitting in an office tower, the other day, carefully reviewing the details of a very difficult business transaction when my friend Kyle Christensen came in to share some information with me.  We sat talking comfortably, so I took the opportunity to lift my burden by discussing one of my current challenges.  He’s always been kind enough to give me good, level headed counsel & he could tell I was in distress, so he encouraged me by quoting a common saying as a way to quickly shift my thinking.

“It’s always darkest before the dawn!”  He said.

It is a simple saying to be sure.  And, it reminded me of what Vic Johnson and Napoleon Hill also taught me in their books.  So, I’ve spent the last couple of days remembering conquered challenges and then recounting the lessons I’ve learned as a result.  And, you know what?  That little exercise changed my whole mood much more quickly than the time it takes to conclude a decade!

We just finished 2018.  The 8 in that date is significant.  It is significant for a couple of reasons.  First, in 2008 the world faced one of the largest financial challenges in history.  Second, almost every single person had the opportunity to learn life changing lessons as a result.  And, you know what?

The lessons I learned from my biggest failures over the past 10 years are the very lessons that have yielded seeds of equal or greater benefit!

No comments: