Monday, November 30, 2015

Standing in Line


A woman and her three children

Standing in Line
We were sitting in a local restaurant enjoying our dinner when I looked to my left and a one table to the front to see a woman and her three children just finishing their dinner.  I noticed this little family from the moment we sat down.

They were all eating, smiling and laughing as they ate their food.  The children were especially delighted when their server delivered a large dessert with four spoons. They each claimed a utensil and took a taste.  Each savored the moment and when finished they their faces shown as billboards of satisfaction and happiness.  That is, until their server returned and told the mother that her credit card had been rejected and there was not enough money left on her gift card to cover the charge.

It was then that I watched her eyes fill with water as if a moist storm had instantly arrived.  Her tears flowed freely and she spoke in broken words to explain that she didn’t’ have the money to pay.  The server turned to walk away seeking a manager. I lifted my hand in a gesture to get her attention just before she passed.

I said, “Miss.”  Ready to offer to pay. I didn’t get her notice.

The man at the table next to me successfully got her attention and handed her a wad of money.  I didn’t hear what he said, but I watched as the server turned instantly and went back to her start. 

She handed the money to the distressed parent.  Tears were transformed into a gratitude-filled smile and things seemed to have returned to a complete satisfaction.  That is until the server turned to walk toward the cashier.

As she turned, the couple at the table to my front reached out and placed another wad of bills in her hand.  They expressed their sincere desire to help and asked that the gift card, submitted by the little family, be returned to them for use at another time.  The server gasp and a larger smile ran across her face.

I sat watching, smiling and hapless.  I have stood in many a line waiting to get into a restaurant.  I’ve stood in many lines waiting to pay my own invoice for refreshment.  But, never have I seemingly stood in line hoping to help without success.  Still, the evening was not unsuccessful.

“People come here and are often not able to pay their bill.”  I heard the server say.  “But, tonight my faith in humanity has been restored.”

There are lots of problems facing us today.  Some would say that such problems show that we’re living in a time that demonstrates how unsuccessful our culture is.  I see many such signs myself.  But, how unsuccessful can a society be when there are caring and generous people all around us?

I was unsuccessful in helping someone in need on this one occasion.  Still, I recognize success when I see it.  I was surrounded by kind, generous and caring people.  I’ll gladly stand in line with such people any time!

No comments: