Monday, November 23, 2015

Guide Dogs


Two Dogs

Guide Dogs
There are two dogs living with me.  One is a pure bred “Door Step Breed” (a dog who shows up on your door step and stays until they’re invited in to the family) and the other is a long hair Corgi. We try to take great care of them.  We feed them right and give them exercise every day. 

One of my daily jobs is to take these frisky pups for a walk each morning and night.  When we started walking together, my mind believed I was doing it just for them.  After all, who would want to take a walk just after waking in the morning and about one hour before going to bed?  But, a couple of mornings this fall began to shift my vision.

We were walking not long before sunrise when I looked up at the bright stars in the sky to drink them in.  As I gazed up into the star-sprinkled sky I noticed that three of the brightest stars were in a unique orientation.  I was witness to a fairly rare planetary alignment of our solar system and enjoyed its wonder for a little more than a week, until the planets began to drift out of line again.

This display was just the beginning of my vision changing experience.  The belief that I was walking only for the benefit of my pups began to be transformed to a new point of view.  I was beginning to watch for beauty I would otherwise be missing and I wasn’t disappointed.

Just three days ago I was walking into a bright pink, cloud enhanced sunrise that took my breath away.  And, if that wasn’t enough, as I turned to make my way back home, the pink display shifted, before my very eyes, to brightly highlight the towering snow-capped wilderness peaks just to the west of my house.  It was magnificent!

My dogs have shown me their personal magnificence in another way as well.  I found myself looking very carefully at them, the other day just to make sure they weren’t sporting watches, as they seem to instinctively know when it’s time for us to go outside together.  Because when it’s time to out, they come directly to me and give me “the look.”

I used to interpret “the look” as a statement of, “It’s time for you to take care of me.”  But, now I realize its correct understanding is, “We’re ready to help you live a better, more healthy life.   Let us show you the spectacle just waiting for you, if you’ll allow us to be your guide!”

I always thought of guide dogs as those who helped people whose eyes didn’t function.  But, my dogs have taught me that even people who have perfectly functioning eyes don’t always see well.  I’ve needed them to open my eyes in ways I never would have considered.  They’ve guided me to a better life, a life filled with increased health, wonder and love. 

They’re true, guide dogs.

No comments: