Monday, November 16, 2015

Land of the Brave?


What can we do? – Michael Sears

Land of the Brave?

I had been working throughout the day.  It was so busy I hadn’t had the chance to hear any news, until the evening when two of my daughters telephoned me.

These two daughters are a very attuned to watching for terror and possible terror.  They both live in New York City and are aware, first hand, of what it means to be frightened by others who attack the innocent en mass.

“Did you see the news of France?”  Both daughters asked.

“No.”  I replied.

They went on to give me the details of what they knew.  All I could do was listen.  And, when asked what it was we could do I said, “All we can do is move forward in faith.”

The next morning I had the opportunity to spend some time “catching up” with my friend Michael Sears.  We discussed lots of things, but the conversation turned to current events again and Michael asked, “What can we do?”

At least I had been thinking about that very question for about a day, so I had a slightly better answer.

“Each one of us needs to make the decision to be a better person.”  I said.

He looked across the table at me and his face told me he wasn’t sold on my answer.  We talked about it more.  He still wasn’t convinced.  That’s ok!  We’re still great friends and always will be.  He’s exactly the kind of man I was talking about – he has a good moral foundation, he’s hard working and is always thinking about ways of helping others.

Still, he thought my solution was too simplistic.  Perhaps he’s right.  But, I can’t help but think that one, multiplied by three hundred million is three hundred million.  It is no longer simply, one.  If we all decide to change ourselves into our vision of our very best self, then nothing can stop us from creating a world free from the fear of terror and full of promise for every individual.

When we are successful individually, perhaps this time, we the people will be transformed into the greatest generations the world has ever known.  What can we do?  Only you can answer that question for your self!

No comments: