Monday, August 3, 2015

Calm Ends the Storm


“The right people always show up just when you need them to.” – Shawn Holste

Calm Ends the Strom

At first I thought it was one of those regular monsoonal summer storms.  You know the kind we get here in the high desert?  I always expect them to roll through in July.  They’re usually a welcome sight as the afternoon begins to gray and there’s a little bit of cooling to usher in the damp relief to follow.  All of that, and more, happened on this particular day.

What didn’t happen was a normal monsoonal rain.  This was a full-blown storm of hurricane strength.  I could tell it was different, almost from the beginning.  The roof on my house began to creak and my windows bowed.  When I looked out, my trees were whipping like a kitchen-aide blender in the process of puffing out a meringue topping.

But, I didn’t begin to see the real topping left by the storm until the next day.  One of my trees had its largest branch snap.  I stood not far off and saw its once green leaves withered and drooping on the fence to the side.  It needed to be fixed, so I got my tree saw out, cut its last attached fibers and took it to my woodpile for further trimming.  It was just the kind of thing I expected from such a strong winded tempest.

What I didn’t expect was a call regarding a home I had just sold.  The storm was more than just wind.  It brought lots of rain and some how, the driven rain had pushed its way through the roof and into the garage.  When I arrived it was one of the strangest sights I had ever seen.

The roof was in tact and all looked well.  But, when we looked inside of the garage we could see the clear signs of trailing water; water where it shouldn’t ever be.  I called people I know who help me with such things and we looked at it together.  We couldn’t figure it out or duplicate it!  Then I remembered Shawn, a builder I had just met and how I had been impressed with his knowledge and expertise so I gave him a call.  He had come highly recommended to me from a trusted friend.

I gave Shawn a call and he came over to look at the problem.  He worked on it for a few days and then called me with the solution!  It was a solution that ended more than a mystery.  It also ended the storm.  Its dark clouds had finally passed.

When I passed my gratitude on to Shawn by saying I was so grateful to have his help and that I had met him at just the right time he replied, “The right people always show up just when you need them to.”

He certainly showed up at the right time to help me.  And, he also reminded me that we are all givers and receivers.  We can all show up for others just in time.  When we do, we do so as the calm that ends the storm.

No comments: