Monday, August 10, 2015

The False Idea


“I didn’t think anyone would have thought of that!”
- Andrew Jakus

The False Idea

My friend and client Andrew is a successful entrepreneur.  He operates several businesses and specializes in retail outlets.  He’s real good at getting a business up and profitable within a short period of time.  I’m helping him open a new location now.

We just selected the building for his new location and we’re finalizing some details in preparation for opening.  As we were doing so, not long ago, he was talking with me about an idea he had for the opening.  And, as he explained it to me a persistent tickle started in the back of my mind.

I just couldn’t shake the feeling that his was not a unique idea.  I thought and thought and then as I was driving on my way to another appointment, I happened to cruise past a building that caused me to recall what my mind was searching for.  So, when I had a minute, I picked up my phone and called Andrew to tell him that I remembered another business was doing exactly what he had described to me.

“I didn’t thing anyone would have thought of that!” he said.

His statement caused me to solidify a simple, yet critical, part of life and business as it brought to my memory an experience with another friend more than fifteen years ago.  It’s so important that I wanted to share it with you.

My friend has the last name of Wilde.  She thought she was going to be able to change the world and called me because she knew my business was venture capital.  She asked if she could come to talk with me when she was in town.  Of course I was happy to meet with her.

When she came in to discuss her business, she started out immediately with her selected name, “Wilde Ideas.”  Then she described in detail about how great she was at coming up with ideas.  Her enthusiasm was contagious, but I knew she would fail and I told her so.  I don’t think I have ever seen a sadder face in my life.  I had crushed her.  But, I did it in a kind way to protect her because letting her continue would have be much more devastating.

She, unlike my friend Andrew, started with the “false idea.”  It is the mistaken belief that an idea is everything.  It is all you need to be successful.

Don’t get me wrong.  Ideas are very important and ideas can and will continue to change the world.  They just don’t change it in the way that many people think they do.  In order for an idea to change the world it must rely on stakeholder momentum and operational expertise.

I say momentum because an idea stuck inside of a person’s mind will never leave it.  So, it must have a means of leaving the mind to get out into the world so it can be communicated and shared. But, once shared, it must be transformed from an idea into reality.

That transformation can only occur through a person, or a group of people, that can create and implement its physical counter part.  This is what separates a dreamer from the doer!  Doers change our world.

You and I can change our own circumstance and the world as well.  We just can’t start with the “false idea.”  Know that your good ideas are only a seed and that you’re the only one who can create the momentum to extract your best ideas, from within your mind, and then implement your plan to transform them into reality.

No comments: