Sunday, August 7, 2011

Wonder Brings Amazing Possibilities

“If you would have asked me a couple of years ago where I’d be today, this would not have been one of my guesses.”

Chloe Scott

Wonder Brings Amazing Possibilities

One of the advantages of age is that it enables a different perspective of who we are and where we’ve been.  When I was talking with my friend Chloe the other day she was able to give me a perspective on this.  It’s something  I’ve always suspected, but never have been able to really get a handle on.

Chloe is a person who most people would say, “She has it all” about.  This is such an interesting thing because if you were to spend any time with her at all you would discover that she has never felt that way about herself.  In fact, during our last conversation she was excited about how she has been able to accomplish far more than she had ever dreamed she could.  But, what was most interesting to me about what she told me was she was clear that her accomplishments had come not through her own plans, but were the result of circumstances that she had resisted in most cases.  Now that she has made me aware of her point of view I have been able to take some time to reflect on my own experience.

I’m so excited about my discovery that I could hardly wait to share some thoughts about it with you.  So here goes!

I’ve spent the vast majority of my life working to do what I thought was the right thing to the exclusion of other possibilities.  Do you know what I mean?  I think that perhaps this is akin to a person who has discovered the taste of vanilla ice cream and likes it so much that they’re never willing to try another flavor.  That doesn’t mean that they aren’t really enjoying the ice cream they’re eating.  But it does mean they may be robbing themselves of additional joy that other flavors may provide them.  Allow yourself to accept the possibility that something wonderful you aren’t aware of yet may exist and stay open to possibilities.  Such awareness will lead you to something else that’s just as important.

Rather than fearing what the future could hold for you embrace it as an amazing possibility.  Spend some time contemplating the fact that if your hold your heart open to wonder the world will give it to you.  I want you to be able to say, “My life has exceeded my hopes and dreams!” Or, perhaps, “My life has been filled with wonder every day and I marvel at it constantly.”

Give it a try during the next month and see what happens.  Just remember that something wonderful is coming and embrace the amazing possibilities in your future.

No comments: