Sunday, August 14, 2011

Who is Watching?

“What are you going to do?”

Annie Butterfield

Who is Watching?

I think I live the life of a “regular” person and as such my life is something less than extraordinary.  In fact most days I don’t think I do anything that is of interest to any other person.  Perhaps that’s the way you feel as well.  Do you think that you live an unobserved life?  I almost always think I do until something happens to make me think otherwise. 

I was spending some time by myself this morning.  It was a chance for me to spend time researching an item of particular interest.  The time was flying as I looked at my computer screen.  I was comfortable and inquisitive knowing that I had plenty of time to spend and had limited obligations on my day off.

I did have one family outing planned so I was watching the digital clock on my computer every once in a while to make sure I would be ready to go when it was time; I wasn’t dressed for the occasion so I knew that I needed to stop a little early to change clothes.  As the time to leave approached, my daughter Annie walked into the room.

As Annie walked toward me I looked up, noticed her attire and said, “Are you going?”

She returned the look at my attire and simply said, “What are you going to do?”

The question seemed to run an electrical shock down my spine; there I was sitting, instead of changing for the occasion.  She was watching my every action even though I was unaware of it until that one revealing moment.

The reveal is: While I believe I’m insignificant most of the time, there are moments of revelation telling me that you and I are more than we seem.  Our life and example have a much larger impact than we can ever imagine.  If you doubt it try the following exercise:

First, decide to make one person smile every day for the coming week.  Then, at the end of each day make mental notes as to whom you made smile and how it made you feel.

Second, notice how these people respond to you in the future.  Notice how your relationship has changed as a result of this one act of kindness.

Finally, see that what you have done has made a difference in your environment and the environment of the others in your life.  You’ll also see that the people you helped are making an effort to watch your example and will begin to follow it as well, just because you’re around.

So, what are you going to do?

No comments: