Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Blessings


“Blessed, but stressed.”

-  John Hafner

Our Blessings

It was Saturday and I was near my friend John’s house.  I’ve known John for the past five years and have developed a great affinity for John and his work.  In fact, I’ve watched John take his start-up company and grow it into a successful venture.  He’s an outdoor/wildlife photographer and travels all around the world taking amazing photos.  I knew he had been out on the road working for the past three weeks and I was hoping he was back in town.

I stood at his door and rang the bell.  Then I waited.

No answer.

I rang again.

When no one came to the door I turned to walk away in disappointment.

Just as I was about to turn the corner, the door opened and I saw John’s smiling face.  He invited me in and we began to talk.

“How are you?” I queried.

“Blessed, but stressed.” He replied.

“What a great answer!” I said to myself.

“You know I’ve been out on assignment.” John went on to explain.  “It gets hard to be on the road, but I’ve been able to get some great shots and I’m real busy so, you know, I’m very blessed.  Things are going well.  But, with all the work and travel comes some stress.”

I looked at his smiling face.  It has a glow of happiness that shines straight out at everyone and everything.  It entered my eyes and I felt happy just because he was happy! 

We visited some more.  I got to spend time with his dog’s head lying in my lap as we talked.  I looked around his living room and admired the beautiful home he and Holly have created.  He is indeed blessed!  I was reminded to recognize my own blessings again. 

After a few minutes of a rejuvenating reunion I was off to work again.  When I stepped into my car my phone began to ring.  I was soon in the middle of negotiating two transactions.  My stress began to build.

I paused!

John’s words rushed into my mind as if wind through aspenand pine trees.  I could hear the rustle; I could hear their rush.  “Blessed; blessed, but stressed!”  Ah and awe!  You and I can follow John’s example to lead a more fulfilling life.

No comments: