Monday, March 28, 2022

Truly Grand



“I had always envisioned myself as being someone who would be able to offer help and refuge to many people.  Then my life took an unexpected turn.”  - Sarah Gwin

Truly Grand

It had been a great while since I’d seen my neighbor Sarah.  I knew she and her husband, Chris, were focusing their time caring for one of their children in particular.  But, that’s about all I knew.  That was about to change as soon as she spoke.

“I had always envisioned myself as being someone who would be able to offer help and refuge to many people.  Then my life took an unexpected turn.” Sarah said.

Sarah has always had a heart that couldn’t be held in check by her chest and as a result, has always had dreams of being able to share her love with many people.  It has been the focus of her life path since she was a child.  Chris shared her vision and they joined in walking that path together as soon as they started their family and had children.

“I wanted to provide service to others in a grand way.”  Sarah continued.  “Then we had a child born into our lives to teach us what it means to do something truly grand.” 

This natural teacher does not have the ability to communicate verbally through words.

“There are times of great quiet.  Then, there are times of great vocal outbursts.  But, there is always a bond and communication of love that is deeper than anything I had ever imagined.” Sarah explained.

She and Chris have been spending the past few years sharing and offering specialized care for their teacher-child.  One of them needs to be at home constantly.  That’s the reason I began to see one of these two at social events, they and I would normally attend together.  Sarah said that this unanticipated change has been hard for them.  And, most importantly, it has changed her understanding of what truly grand means.

“Our child has taught me that the grandest gesture a person can make is to offer refuge to another.” She said as her eyes shimmered as if filled with diamonds.

Each one of us has had, and will have times, when we are completely dependent on another person for love and care.  Yet somehow, we tend to forget that.  Luckily, if we take the time to listen to those making the truly grand happen around us right now, sometimes not always visible, we’ll remember the genuine significance of offering personal refuge.

So, even though it had been a great while since I’d seen my neighbor Sarah, I listened intently.  I knew she and her husband, Chris, were focusing their time caring for one of their children in particular.  But, that’s about all I knew.  That was all changed as Sarah taught me about the grandest gesture.

“I had always envisioned myself as being someone who would be able to offer help and refuge to many people.  Then my life took an unexpected turn.” Sarah said.  “Chris and I had a teacher-child born into our family and our child has taught me that the grandest gesture a person can make is to offer refuge to another.”

No comments: