Monday, November 9, 2020

Slivers Underneath the Skin

“Look what I pulled out of that little red hole.”  Marv Shafer


Slivers Underneath the Skin


I heard that awakening ding.  You know the tone.  The one that alerts us that we’ve received a text message on our smart phones.  So, I looked down at the screen to see a most unusual, interesting photo.


 


I would never have known what it was without the message that went along with it.


“Look what I pulled out of that little red hole!” It was from Marv Shafer.


Marv is my neighbor, friend, and perhaps the bravest person I’ve ever known.  If you don’t know Marv you may be asking why I think he’s so brave.  Well, I’ll tell you.


About four years ago Marv was working in his field on his tractor, mowing weeds, when he hit something.  So, he climbed off the tractor and started toward his mowing deck.  When he approached the connection between the power-take-off and the deck, his pant leg was grabbed by the spinning machinery. So was Marv’s leg!


I looked back at the photo of Marv’s leg, the part that’s left, now mostly healed.


“It’s been in there hurting like a big sliver for 16 months.”  I continued reading below the photo.


“Wow!”  I replied.  I’m so glad you finally got it out.  What a blessing!  Keep removing the festers from inside and you’ll be fully healed in no time.”


Festers inside.  I thought to myself, realizing that all people, everyone one of us, have non-surgical festers we’ve been suffering from.  Many of these emotional, mental and spiritual festers are very small, just like that small piece of suture rejected by Marv’s body.  Yet, they can cause a tremendous amount of pain as they hide below our skin.


How can you and I similarly remove our own internal festering slivers?  Well, If I had the answers to that question I’d be the happiest person on the planet.  But I don’t, so here are some four thoughts to ponder.


First, recognize that many of the slivers you and I are harboring were delivered to us accidentally.  Holding on to the conviction that most people are good hearted and that forgiving others creates an opportunity for others to also forgive us of our unintentional wrongs is an essential cornerstone of hope.


Second, become aware of how your own faults are acting as a sliver delivery catalyst. To help myself with this I’ve created a little saying.  “I’m solving my mouth problem!”  This little saying helps to remind me that I just need to keep my mouth shut more often than not.  


Third. Understand the concept of “I’m a work in progress.”  That means we all need to recognize that working slivers out and stopping our accidental delivery of slivers takes time.  Often a lot more time that the 16 months it took for Marv’s body to spit out that suture.


Finally, know that time and concentrated work on our own inside-out is worth the effort.  Because the reward is the immediate removal of pain.  Many times, it is a seemingly instant removal of a tormenting pain that’s been there for years and years.


“After 2 days no pain!” Marv’s message continued.


Oh, and one more thing.  When you and I next hear that awakening ding.  You know the tone.  The one that alerts us that we’ve received a text message on our smart phones. Let it be an additional reminder that we, you and I, are dealing with lots of slivers under our skin.  And, if we’ll remember that most of these festering slivers have been delivered to us accidentally, become more aware of our own faults, understand that we’re all a work in progress and that time & concentrated work on our own inside-out can spit out even the smallest, most painful slivers we can become free from happiness stealing pain.


Each step takes bravery. But, pulling those little slivers from underneath our skin is worth it.  Be Brave.

No comments: