Sunday, August 13, 2017

Wakeup Call

“An upsetting phone call”

Wakeup Call
As the call went on, I could feel an eruption forming deep in my chest.  I tried to suppress it time and again.  I was put on hold.  The eruption smoldered for the next five minutes as I waited and waited.

“You will have to go to one of our stores.”  The voice said as soon as the hold ended.

That was the moment when the eruption spilled from my chest and had voice!  The call and my patience ended at the same time, but the learning moment was just beginning.

There are times when I forget the purpose of life.  And, when that happens I am unable to put experiences in their true context.  Over my lifetime I’ve learned that every thing happens for a reason and that everyone who comes into my life is there for the same reason.  Life is a school and the events as well as the participants are all uniquely combined so as to help you and I become the most we can become.  I forgot that while in the middle of the frustrating phone call.  Luckily, that the call was over and the life lesson was about to brought to the forefront.

The beginning of the next day ushered in more events, more people and more lessons.  I was calmer by morning so my day of absorbing life’s lessons was much easier.  It was sort of routine living with a few “ah-haw” moments until late morning when I arrived at the store, where I was directed to go from last evening’s phone call.

I walked into the store and spoke with a young man about the issue.  He politely assisted me to solve the problem and then came the charge.

“That will be $303.”  He said.  “How would you like to pay?”

I was puzzled!  “I was quoted $435 last night.  Are you sure the amount is correct?”

“Yes.”  He said as he swiped my card and pleasantly handed me the receipt.  “If you would be kind enough to give me a good review for helping you when you’re contacted I would appreciate it.”  He continued.

“From 0 to 10!”  I said with a smile.

It was less than a minute from the store to my car and that’s when my smile got even broader.  It was a sort of embarrassed, happy little smile as I recognized that I had just received another of life’s continuing little “wakeup” calls.


I had been reminded of perhaps life’s greatest purpose.  You and I are being schooled, while we’re alive here, and this is experience reminded me that everything we’re taught is for our benefit in the end, even though its hard sometimes.  Everything happens to bring goodness and success in to our lives.  And, while this fact is often hidden, keeping this little bit of knowledge in the forefront of our day-to-day interactions enables us to live happier, calmer and perhaps more assuredly that everything will turn out for our benefit in the end!

No comments: