Monday, August 28, 2017

Think About it!

“Something is  ‘a foot,’ I’ll talk with you about it later.” 

Think About It!
“Something is  ‘a foot,’ I’ll talk with you about it later.”  The message said.

It was a message about company intrigue and internal politics.  Perhaps more importantly it was a message about how you and I make choices everyday in the subconscious part of our minds, without really thinking about it.

Most of us are already aware of what we consider to be our big choices.  Things like where we want to work, whom we want to marry, if we want to be honest, or even what we want to eat for dinner.  Such choices tend to be what we consider the framework for our lives.  Yet, our lives are so much broader than this simple frame.

Here is a still simple and much larger life frame for consideration.  You create more of what you think about most, even when you don’t think you’re thinking about it.  Everyone is free to choose what they think about.

“You don’t really know what happened in that meeting.”  I replied.

“No.  But, they were in there for two and a half hours!”

“Yes.  And, you’ve decided to make the rest of it up in your mind.  Let it go and focus on what really matters in your life.  You get to decide what you want to think about!”

You and I get to decide what we want to think about and in so doing we are also deciding who we want to be.  When we have thoughts and process them for a while we must decide either to keep them or replace them with something better.  Are you feeling afraid, depressed, guilty, shameful, safe, heartened, hopeful, or giddy?  Are you conscious of choosing such attitudes and behavior?

Think about it!  What if you can start consciously choosing your attitudes and behavior in every moment?   What if you decided to think about forgiveness, gratitude, faith, compassion, understanding, optimism, and courage?  What if you decided to feel empowered, worthy, valued, cheerful, secure, kind, happy, lovable, calm, flexible, trusting, accepted, comfortable, confident, and peaceful at this very moment?  There are lots of good options to think about!

I learned about thinking choices from my friend Kristin Murdock.  I am very sure her personal motto is “Good things happen to me!”  She’s always been one of the luckiest people I know!  Good things happen to her all the time.  And, as a result, good things happen to me all of the time because I wanted to be like her and adopt her thinking habits.

Am I like her yet?  Sometimes!  I’m getting better at recognizing my unconscious thoughts so I can correct them.  Thinking about it is the key!

What could happen if you and I decide to choose what is “a foot” in our lives?  What wonderful changes could we see in our lives and ourselves?

Think about it! 

No comments: