Monday, August 21, 2017

Living on a Tightrope

Big Changes

Living on a Tightrope
A direct line; I couldn’t see it, but it was there.  I knew it was there because I was talking with another person on the phone.  It was an especially difficult and fearful day for her and I was supporting one end of her rope.

“I liked things the way they were!” She said. “What would have been wrong with leaving things just as they were?  Everything was going exactly the way I wanted it to!”

Then, a couple of days later, another person connected with me.

“They just laid off everyone in my department except my boss and me!”  The other voice said to me through my telephone.

That’s when I realized I was being a witness to the clear exposure of another line, the “Tightrope of Life.”  These calls revealed that much of life is learning to walk a tightrope, find your balance, and trust the universe, and yourself in the process.  During these two phone calls I was there, right on the high wire, coaxing, and encouraging.

“My whole career has been destroyed!”  I heard the first voice say.

“Do you still have your job?” I asked. 

“Yes.”  She replied when asked this question.

“So, in reality, there is no failure in these events for you.  You haven’t lost anything.  Can you tell me what opportunity has been revealed to you as a result of this experience?”

There was silence for a few moments.  I could feel the struggle coursing along the line.  I’ve experienced such frightening experiences myself; the terrifying view, looking straight down from a tightrope to the ground.  A shift from the terrifying view of the ground, the feared calamity, to focus ahead, on the promise of a bright future was essential at this moment.  I waited.

“Now is the time!”  I thought to myself.  “You’ve invited them to allow the power of trust to work in their lives. Wait for it!”

One of the greatest lessons I’ve learned from living life is that no matter how difficult or hopeless an experience seems it is in your life to serve you in some way.  Life’s trials are never useless unless one chooses to surrender to them.  And, the voice coming through my phone just verified that there was no surrender in sight!

“I guess this is really the opening of a door for me!”  She said with a new found confidence.  “It has created a sort of opening to allow me to pursue the path toward what I really want to do!”

She had lifted her eyes! Now she had changed her focus to be firmly fixed on the promise of new opportunity.  She had regained balance on her life’s tightrope and was moving forward again with trust in herself and life’s process.

Life’s process can sometimes feel as if we are living without a safety net.  But, we aren’t! Trust creates the net.

Trust the goodness of the universe. Trust yourself.  Trust life’s process.  Trust keeps you balanced while living on the tightrope of life!  It is a direct line to peace and happiness. 

No comments: