Monday, May 8, 2017

The Wave

The waning of waving

The Wave
It happened as I was driving down a quiet country road.  I didn’t know a soul.  It was all right, because I felt insulated inside my car.  There was an approaching car just ahead.  I looked straight through my windshield and caught the eyes of the other driver, as he was about to pass.  Then it happened!

The other driver lifted this index finger in concert with his middle finger off his steering wheel and he offered a friendly wave.  I was so shocked I didn’t know how to respond!  I drove on toward the land I had recently purchased.  I have to admit that I was a little dazed and confused.

I remember thinking to my self, “Do I know him?”  Then my thoughts went further, “I wonder what he wants?”

I drove on.  Another car approached.  I looked straight through my windshield and caught the eyes of the other driver, as he was about to pass.  It happened again!

The other driver lifted this index finger in concert with his middle finger off his steering wheel and he offered a friendly wave.  I was again shocked!  I drove on and on.  I wondered and wondered.  I wondered, until I had completed the construction of my new home and it had become a common occurrence for me to waive back. That was twenty-two years ago.

I have continued to drive on the same country roads through these many years now.  And, a few days ago there was an approaching car just ahead.  I looked straight through my windshield and caught the eyes of the other driver, as he was about to pass.

The other driver didn’t lift his index finger, from the steering wheel, in concert with his middle finger to offer a wave.  I was sad and didn’t know how to respond.  I was shocked!  I drove on and on.  I wondered and wondered until I had completed the construction of my idea of how to restore what was lost.

I decided I’d need to solve the problem by changing myself!  Here’s my solution.

As I happen to be driving down a quiet country road, to and from the house I live in, I pass cars approaching just up ahead.  I look straight through my windshield and catch the eyes of the other driver, as he is about to pass.  Then it happens!

I lift my index finger in concert with my middle finger, off my steering wheel, and offer a friendly wave.  It is a small gesture of kindness to be sure.  And, I’m sure the other drivers as shocked and don’t know how to respond!  They’re most likely dazed and confused as well.  But, I hope it will become a common occurrence for them to wave back.


It’s a start.  And. hopefully it will ignite a new wave of friendliness throughout our community.

No comments: