Monday, May 29, 2017

Sweet Trouble

“She comes and helps me quite a bit.” - Kilee Johnson

Sweet Trouble

There was a ringing.  It went on and on.  Then just as it suddenly began, it stopped, for a moment.  The ringing started again!  I rolled over in bed, hoping it would just stop. 

I remember muttering in a bitter way, “Why isn’t it going to voice mail?”

It was very early morning.  The ringing had stopped, but I was awake now and beginning to wonder who was trying to talk with me so early in the morning.  So, I got out of bed and walked over to my iPad.

As soon as the FaceTime number registered in my groggy brain I knew something was wrong.  Such a call at this time of day was not likely a tiding of joy.

I touched the screen and in a flash, two faces quickly filled the space.

“Do you remember what happened to your neighbors?”

“No.” I replied.

“Yes you do!”  She said.  “They were out of town and their toilet kept running.  It flooded their house!” She reminded me.

“Oh, yes.”  I was prompted.

“It just happened to us!”  She turned, flipped the camera, and began to show me the damage.  “What do I do?”

“Call your insurance company and get a disaster clean up company over there as soon as possible!”  I answered.

A few hours later heard my pad announced a new message.

So, I called my friend who works for a company that does restorations and other things and she called the owners at home and they had a crew out in like an hour!”  She had written.

“Wow! You’re lucky to have such a friend!” I replied.

“She comes and helps me quite a bit. She helped me in the garden yesterday. Seriously! She came over this morning to help me move things out of the way”
Hmm!  Garden!  Move things out of the way! One way to move difficult things out of the way is to add a little sweetness!  A recipe to spread happiness!  Such recipes are tucked away in many cookbooks sitting in pantries everywhere.

Think of sweet & sour pork and honey chipotle salsa! 

Adding sweetness to bitter or fiery experiences can change them from undesirable to something to savor.  My daughter’s friend uses this recipe regularly.  I’ve decided to nickname her “Master Chef.”

Let’s master her recipe and flood the world with sweetness? 

No comments: