Monday, October 26, 2015

That Moment


“She just hasn’t had her moment yet.” – Mark DeAngelis

That Moment

It was one of those moments for me.  I looked out of the window of the restaurant and saw my friend Mark DeAngelis.  I was truly glad to see him.  You see, it wasn’t long ago that he had heart surgery and I worried that I may never see him again.

I was pleased to see how wonderful he looked and asked him to tell me how things went as soon as we sat down at the table.

He told me about the process he went through as he discovered he had a problem with his health and then he talked me through the details of getting ready for surgery, his experience in the hospital and his recovery.  I was eager to hear about all of it.  But one thing in particular really made a distinct impression on me.  It was about his discovery of “That Moment.”

“When I was getting ready to go in to surgery my doctor said that if things didn’t go well I’d never wake up again.  That’s when my life changed.” Mark explained.

“Most of us go through life acting as if our life will never end.  We spend our time worried about things that don’t really matter.  I was with one of my closest friends the other day and she was upset over something inconsequential.  I told her not to sweat the small stuff!” 

Perhaps what impressed me the most was what he said next.

“She just hasn’t had her moment yet.”

He was a little wistful as he spoke. I could feel nothing but love as he went on.

“When you have ‘That Moment,’ it changes your life forever.  You clearly understand what’s important and what’s not.  I just happen to have had my personal transformation.  So, I know what it’s like on the other side of such an experience.  I tell people about it, but for most it remains an elusive principle to understand.”

His genuine caring and compassion acted as a guide to me and allowed me to better understand.  I could see his new way of looking at the world through his eyes.  I could feel the strength of his heart as he poured it out to me. 

Having “That Moment” caused Mark’s heart to be recovered in two ways.  He is physically strong.  But, most importantly his “heart” has experienced a reformation and he longs for you and me to experience the same.  Could this be “That Moment” for you?

No comments: