Monday, October 12, 2015

Wrestling in a Mirror


Two telephone calls from John.

Wrestling in a Mirror

I received a call from a close friend and client just a couple of days ago.  As soon as the conversation began I could tell it wasn’t going to be an easy one.  In fact, after about three minutes of listening, I was finally able to get a calming word in.

I’ve known the caller, John, for a long time and he is one of the most kind and clear thinking people I’ve ever met.  He’s always been a great friend and we have a wonderful relationship.  But, during our phone call his demeanor was much different than it normally is.  My only hope was to simply show him loyalty and love so he could comfortably return to himself.

My experience is that the most difficult struggles we face in life are internal.  I’ve never wrestled with anyone who has given me more difficulty than I’ve given my self.  As I listened to John, I could tell that he was having the same experience.  Luckily, I knew that John is a man of great internal strength.

Internal strength is a hallmark of good character.  It is the beginning of all personal greatness.  It makes right-minded-thinking, morality, good habits and productive life possible.  It is also the catalyst for the development of wisdom and personal wellbeing.  And, at the moment of our conversation, John was truly consumed by worries related to his wellbeing.

There can be no failure when it comes to expressing love to another person.  It is the great softener of hearts.  Showing ordinary love always produces extraordinary results.  The simple act of sincerely offering missing information, giving personal praise and confirming individual loyalty opened the door for John to stop wrestling internally so he could regain his true nature toward the end of our conversation.

As our exchange ended I was filled with an overwhelming peace, wonder and gratitude.  I felt at peace because John was going to be able to accomplish what he truly needed to have happen.  I was filled with wonder because I felt as if I had been wrestling with a mirror.  I could recall so many times when I had lost my own internal strength and felt as if there was no way for me to become my self again.  Finally, I felt tremendous gratitude for the realization that there is indeed no failure when it comes to expressing love to another person, even to your self when you are a mere reflection of the person you truly are.

No comments: