Monday, July 6, 2015

Compliments


“It was all because I stopped to give a sincere compliment.” - John O’Donnell

Compliments

“I can give you the garage code.”  John said as he walked me toward the garage that was no longer to be his soon.  “I’ll also give you the key to the front door.”

I watched as he carefully tapped the numerical buttons so he could show me that the door would open when he used the code he had given me.  Then we walked up the five steps to the front door.  He pulled up the doormat.  I reached down and got the key.  It was then that he smiled and asked if he could tell me a little story.

“This has been a real interesting course of events!”  He told me.  When I listed my house I knew I wanted to live closer to work.  I even knew the neighborhood I wanted, so I drove the streets as often as I could looking for a sign.”

He took a couple of steps toward me at the bottom of the stairs.  It was a bright sunny day.  I could feel the sun warming my head and shoulders.  He leaned back slightly and continued.

“As I drove I noticed a couple of women who were always walking their dogs.  I love dogs so one day I pulled along side and said, ‘I just wanted to stop and compliment you on the way you take care of your dogs!  I’ve been driving around this neighborhood looking for a house to purchase for a long time and you’re here walking your dogs every time I come by.’”

I saw excitement beginning to radiate from his eyes.

He continued, “The women eagerly replied, ‘we have a neighbor who needs to sell!  She just moved into a care facility and her family needs to sell her home so she has the money she needs.  We’ll take you over there.’  They introduced me. We made a deal!  It was all because I stopped to give a sincerely compliment!  If you give people compliments good things will happen to you!”

He was talking to me from his heart.  I knew his life was an example of this kind of living.  He had done so many things to help my Clients and ease their way into their new home.  He said, “I know how hard moving is and I want to make things as easy as possible for them.”

So, I entered the second code John had given me.  “Thanks John, you’re very kind!”

Now I’ve passed this essential code to you. There are lots of passwords and codes we need to remember these days.  They’re all important. Still, we forget some and often tire of having to keep them in the forefront of our thoughts. But, perhaps the one we should always remember to use to open the door to a happier life for everyone around us is: Compliment those around you as often as possible.  It’s a code that works whenever it is used.

No comments: