Monday, June 29, 2015

The Root


5 A’s

The Root

My friend’s family has a tradition of educational accomplishment and he came to me the not long ago and was shaken a bit.  He told me that his wife brought him their high school son’s report card.  It contained his first ever C and my buddy was brooding over the matter. He told me that when his son came home he invited him into his study, where he sternly confronted him with the card and said, “Son, what is this I see on your report card?”

“Well, Dad,” answered the boy, “I hope you see the five A’s.”

I felt as if I were looking in the mirror as my friend talked.  Of course, since this particular story had happened to him, it would have been easy for me to remark, “Your boy is fantastic!  He’s only had one C during his whole academic career?  No need to worry, he’ll get back to his best shortly!”  But, I didn’t say that.  Rather, I told him that I could see what he was going through and that if he would promise to see the five A’s then I would promise to begin to see “the five A’s” when they’re presented to me as well.

Perhaps it was in that moment when I discovered that while perfection is a worthy goal, you and I need to remember that we’re just regular people too.  As individuals, we have different capacities and gifts.  But, no mater how hard we work, not matter how hard we try, imperfection is with all of us.

This fact was graphically presented to me again when my daughter Annie, in her final semester of college, was quite stressed.  She was working hard and was on the borderline of getting her final straight A semester.  Being in a position of potentially not reaching her goal was really bothering her.  She couldn’t sleep at night and was worried all the time.  As I witnessed her internal upheaval I could feel my friend’s story burning within my heart and I knew I had to act!

I said, “Annie, did you know that since I graduated from college not one person has ever asked me about my grades?  And, it will be the same with you.  Once you have your degree, no one will really care about your grades.  You’ve done tremendously well and I couldn’t be more proud of you!”

I was hoping to make sure she knows, that perhaps, the most important thing we can do in life is to understand that as long as we give honest and earnest effort it should be acceptable to us.  After all, what really matters is what kind of people we are.  The problems of the world, at their root, are all human problems, and the opportunities in the world are all human opportunities.  And, while I understand that now, it took years study of a tree for me to begin to understand the significance of strong roots.

I planted Mimosa trees in my yard almost twenty years ago. They’re a sensitive leaf, flowering tree and I knew when I planted them that I was putting them in a borderline climate and that they might not survive, let alone thrive.  And, they haven’t all survived.  But, some have!  Most of them live in a continuous cycle where they grow and then die back on the surface.  But their roots are strong.

Just when I think the winter has killed them forever, I begin to see new life springing up from below.  They have taught me that it is the strength of the root that really matters, especially in an imperfect environment.  And, that’s why I have hope!

You and I have strong roots in character.  We are the kind of people who help solve problems and make the most of the opportunities.  We are those whose priorities are straight. We are the people who can see the 5 A’s, even though we live in an imperfect environment, and offer strength and encouragement to everyone around us.

No comments: