Monday, August 4, 2014

Being a Hero From Inside, Out


“Matt Speers & India Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment”

Being a Hero From Inside, Out

I now have a photo sitting on my desk.  There are almost two hundred men in the photo and I don’t know any of them, except one.  It is there to remind me.

It is a photo of heroes and it reminds me of what a hero is on the inside. If you were to ask any one of them if they are a hero, they would respond just as my friend, Captain Matt Speers does. 

“I’m not a hero.  But, I know some.  I can tell you about them!”

Matt and I sat in a small Starbucks this week in Park City so we could catch up.  We hadn’t seen each other for a little over one year.  He had been deployed to Afghanistan again! It was a huge relief for me to hear from him and to see that he was as fit as ever.

Matt holds his responsibility to keep his men fit and safe, India Company, as a solemn duty.

“I loved being able to train them in 29 Palms.”  He said.  “There isn’t anything else for them to do, so they just focus on training.”

I listened to Matt tell me of his work and how he works with his men.  Then I asked him a hard question, a question I wasn’t sure I wanted to know the answer to.

“Did you lose any men this time?”

“No.  We were blessed.  But I’ve lost men before.  I tell my men that the best way to thank their brother for sacrificing a body part or their life for them is to go forward and live a life of honor!”

That’s why I have the picture on my desk!  These are men who don’t even know me and yet they are willing to sacrifice parts of their body or even their lives for my benefit; for your benefit.  So, I am taking my hero’s advice.

I am concentrating on moving forward and living a life of honor so I can honor all my heroes of India Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment.

What token will you use to inspire you to live the life of a hero from the inside?

No comments: