Monday, July 28, 2014

Building Exceptional Value


“We should not doubt our ability to affect others in a positive way.”
-Sharla Ellis

Building Exceptional Value

Annie was sitting in the black leather seat next to me.  She had her computer open and was reading.  It reminded me of years gone by when I used to drive her to and from school.  We’d work on her homework because it was a long drive.   Both of us have fond memories of that time together.  I glanced over at her and came back to the present time as I saw that it was an all grown up version of Annie.

“What is your civic responsibility?” She said to me so I could listen to her give me the answer she was preparing to give at an upcoming scholarship pageant.

I heard another voice in my head.  “I feel as if I’ve been riding on a ticket that was paid for by others who came before me my whole life!”  My mentor, Rex Reeve said to me once.

He was a great teacher who accepted me as a teenager and then molded me into a man.  He was able to recognize valuable personal traits, that were hidden to others, and showed me how to use them so I could be of benefit to others.

“Are you paying attention to me?”  Annie said as she stopped my trip back to California in an instant.

“Yes.  What I heard you say was, ‘our community is only strong if we, as individuals, are willing to give our strength and talents to others.’”

“Right!”

“Good answer!”  I replied back.  “When a person begins to understand that they can make an impact as an individual, the world begins to change immediately!  The whole universe is based on individual growth and learning.”

“I like what Gandhi said about that!”  Annie shot back.  “Be the change you want to see in the world!”

My friend Sharla says, ‘We should not doubt our ability to affect others in a positive way.’ 

Sometimes we think we’re insignificant and can’t do anything about the way things are in the world around us.  But, the truth is that the best way for us to make a difference is to be good people.  Understanding this principle makes things much more simple.  Small things make a difference!

“Being a good neighbor is so easy!”  I said to myself as I remembered how one of my friends once made a big difference for me.  I was walking home one day when my feet hurt.  My friend Danny Idom was driving by and asked if he could give me a ride.

“Sure!” I said.

Then I marveled that he had no idea what a great thing he had done for me!  He had no way of knowing how much my feet hurt that day.  He just did it because he is a kind, gentle person.  And, he thought he was just driving his car!

My drive with Annie came to an end, but our shared relationship was about to get more valuable.  We walked into a building where we volunteered with friends to help people we didn’t know.

Helping others creates exceptional value.  But extraordinary things grow from ordinary, small things. You and I are exceptionally valuable to each other when we do small, genuine acts of kindness.

No comments: