Monday, July 14, 2014

Heavy Metal


“You can be Kind and do Good Things.” – Jeffrey Smith

Heavy Metal

“There is a huge piece of metal in our driveway!  Well, not really in the driveway, but on the edge of it.  I’ve been here most of the day and I didn’t see who dropped it off.  It’s weird.  It just showed up.  What is it?”  Annie excitedly said to me over the phone.

“I don’t know.”  I replied.  “I’ll look at it when I get home.”

It was late when I got home.  Since it was summer it was still light, even though it was about 9:20 p.m.  As I rolled into the driveway and curved around toward my garage there was no visual missing of the large steel structure on the North side of my lane.  As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what it was.

Some months ago I approached my friend Jeffrey Smith, a talented metal artist, to mount a beautiful buffalo weathervane my wife’s parents had given us.  I knew he was right for the work because he has created so many wonderful pieces.  We discussed the commission in detail and I could tell he was excited to put his mark on this work.

As I spoke with Jeff I was a little concerned about his health.  I could see pain oozing from his eyes, even though they still had their natural sparkle.  My friend has struggled with back issues for many years and I could tell he was not doing so well.   I mentioned it to him, but he still wanted to do the work.  He said it would just take him a little longer.

As the months went on, I had many conversations with him.  He updated me on his health.  The updates were not very promising and I worried about his wellbeing.  As it turns out, my worries were well founded and I began to hear rumblings around our neighborhood that he had just undergone surgery.

When next I saw him, the same day I heard the rumor, I asked him if he was recovering from surgery.   He said, “No.  But, I will be having surgery within the next few weeks.”

I wished him well and told him I would do anything I could to help.  All thoughts of my weathervane project had vanished from my mind. 

But, miraculously, now the art was directly in front of me!  What a surprise!

Since this piece is about fifteen feet in height I was also amazed at its sheer size and impact.  I couldn’t imagine how Jeffrey built it, much less loaded and unloaded it.  I had to call him immediately.

When I reached him on the phone I thanked him from the bottom of my heart.  I also asked him what amount of money I owed him for his exquisite work.  His reply was typical of the big Scotsman with a booming tenor voice.

“Did you see the stainless steel plaque I put on it?”

“No.”

“It says, Jeffrey Smith – Lynn Butterfield, Erda, 2014, so you will always be able to remember.”

“That’s wonderful!” I exclaimed,  “but what do I owe you?”

“You can be Kind and do Good Things.” He answered.  “Go out and do good for other people.  That’s what I’d like.  Some people can’t understand it.  They just can’t wrap their mind around it.  But, it’s what I want our deal to be.”

“But!”  I responded.

“You see, we all have different talents.  You’re amazed at what I can do.  But, it’s easy for me.  We all have unique talents.  They’re given to us to share with others.  We need to share them with each other.  It will make the world more beautiful and a better place.  Will you do that for me?”

“Yes!”  Was all I could say.  I learned a long time ago not to argue with a man who has a chest the size of two fifty gallon drums and a grip of iron; especially when he always carries a big stick (A beautifully had crafted walking cane).  We would do well to follow the advice of such a man!

Be kind and do good things.

No comments: