Monday, April 14, 2014

Out of Control Worry


I don't like to worry unless I have to. I'll call you if there's anything worth worrying about. :)” – Rachael Elliott

Out of Control Worry

There can be many stressful moments in life, times of uncertainty.  You know of what I speak.  We all have times of worry.  We worry over our personal lives, loved ones and work.  If you’re like me you sometimes worry about things that are out of your control.

There are lots of moving parts in a real estate transaction and that translates in to lots to worry about.  And many things that are out of my control.  For example, I’m currently involved in a transaction where I have my Client’s home under contract to sell and then have a purchase contract for the same client.  So, we’re trying to work with the close dates of both properties and the moving company to make it so my Client can close on the properties at the same time and have their belongings moved from their previous home into their new home in one move.  It takes a lot of juggling and negotiating to make this type of transaction come together smoothly.

It was all coming together very smoothly until the middle of this week when I got a text message from the Buyer’s Agent asking me if her Buyer could arrange to complete a pre-inspection walk-through of the house they have under contract.

This kind of walk-through the night before an inspection is very unusual so it immediately set off a little alarm in my head.  I began to think that everything we’d worked so hard to accomplish could come crashing down into a heap of dust.  A contract cancellation at this stage of the transaction would have a ripple effect that would have huge impact on four different families.  My worry suddenly began to spiral out of control!

Luckily I decided to send a reply text that simply said, “Is there something I need to be worried about?”

I read the other Agent’s response, “I don't like to worry unless I have to. I'll call you if there's anything worth worrying about. :)”

It hit me right between the eyes!  In trying to protect my Clients I was damaging myself for no reason.  I was making myself miserable!

My response?  “Great advice!”

You may wonder what the outcome was.  Here’s the message I got back from her a little more than six hours later that same day. “We are good! Tell your clients thank you for letting us see it again today. It’s such a nice house.”

The inspection was completed the next morning and there was one small repair the Sellers needed to make.  That was amazing!

It’s also amazing to know that you and I don’t always need to worry.  I will take a lot of practice to infuse this into my heart and mind. 

Oh, great!  One more thing to worry about!

No comments: