Monday, April 21, 2014

FIve Keys to Seeing Around Obstacles


“I won’t!”

Five Keys to Seeing Around Obstacles

Four friends recently contacted me.  They were reaching out to speak with me about employment.  Three were looking to find a new position and one was updating me on his new found work.  Two of the four stood out from the others in striking ways.

The one with the new position has worked with me for an extended period of time.  I’ll never forget the first time I met him.  He showed me he was different from most other people immediately because all I ever heard from him was, “Yes.  I’ll get that done and report back to you!”

As a result of his willingness to work I found myself relying on him more and more.  He always did what he said he’d do and his work was exemplary.  It wasn’t long before I trusted him completely.  So, when he told me he had accepted a position with a group of people I knew well I wasn’t surprised.  I knew he’d be a great asset for his new employer.  He’ll be successful in everything he does because of the way he thinks.

When he’s working he looks to see what needs to be done and he does it.  He is cheerful and positive about his work.  I’ve seen him work under great pressure with long hours without complaint.  He is intent on obtaining greater knowledge so he can become the best he can be.  He has surrounded himself with people he wants to emulate so he can become like them.  He has embodied the “Five Key Principles of Success” quickly and at an early age.

Another friend, of similar age, called to speak with me to get advice about how to find success in his search for work.  Early on in one of our conversations he pulled out a list.  I was a little surprised at first.  I couldn’t remember anyone writing a list in preparation for such a meeting with me.  But, the real surprise wasn’t revealed until he began to go through the list item by item.

It was a list of things he wouldn’t do!  He detailed days and times he wouldn’t work and then went on to outlined industries he would work in.  In short, it was a list of “I won’t!”

He wasn’t through the fourth point on his list when I felt a rumbling begin down in the center of my core.  I was no longer listening to the exact words coming from his mouth.  All I heard was, I won’t and I was interpreting it into a response of, “I can’t help you!”   I felt sick inside because I vividly remembered what my friend Gaynell Instefjord once taught me.

Gaynell said, “Successful people see ways around obstacles.  They don’t focus on the obstacle itself.”

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and I’ve noticed that the most difficult times I face are the direct result of seeing obstacles instead of opportunity.   When I do that the obstacles get larger and larger with every passing moment.  I begin to be filled with despair.

But, I’ve also noticed that obstacles crumble into dust as soon as I focus on what I can do to get around them.  A small amount of effort produces an astonishing result and momentum with an accompanying peace of mind.

You and I have opportunity to enjoy success and peace of mind. Let’s reach into our pockets and jingle the Five Keys.  See how they feel.  Then pull them out and use them.

No comments: