Sunday, July 1, 2012

From the Ashes of Disaster


“I asked myself, what have I done to deserve this?”
- Dan Gray

From the Ashes of Disaster

There was a news flash across my screen.  When I saw it my blood ran cold and my right hand instinctively grasped my phone and I began to touch the number a friend and client.  I was quite sure a major fire was burning its way to his home, in the foothills of Salt Lake County, and wanted to make sure he knew his family was welcome to take refuge in my home.  Luckily he answered his phone and I was assured of his safety.  Sadly not everyone was as lucky as my friend and they lost their Utah homes to unquenchable flames.  We live in a world where all of us are burned by the flames of disaster at one time or another.
Personal disasters come in all types and sizes and sometimes they also come in bundles.  In talking with my friend Dan Gray about some of the challenges he has faced in the recent past he said, “I asked myself, what have I done to deserve this?”  We discussed this very question for a few minutes over sandwiches and Dan taught me how he’s been able to overcome the pain he has had hurdle to free himself from a cascade of tragedies that engulfed his live during the span of one year.

“I knew I had to remove myself from the place where everything was a constant reminder of what had happened.” He said.  He talked with me about how the kind people all around him offered comfort and care.  But, they also served as a constant cue to his pain.
His move to Utah provided him with another cue.  He moved to where he had family so he could surround himself with comfort and helping kindness that would act as a salve to his heart.  As a result, he has been healed and his heart as been enlarged by the additional love he has exchanged with his support system.

Part of his support system was a business network and enterprise that allowed him to put his heart and soul into a cause he believes in.  “I have met so many great people and have tried to help as many people as I could through my association.”  He revealed to me.
Our conversation also revealed that Dan did nothing to deserve the tragedies that befell him and, it disclosed that he has moved past the hurt.  “I went back to my old neighborhood last week and I could walk the streets without any emotional turmoil!  I’m ready to move forward with my life now.  I’m excited about the future!”

I looked into his eyes as he spoke.  They had a certain sparkle in them.  No.  They had that old fire back in them.  Not a fire of destruction.  It’s an inner fire that assured me of his future success. 
You can have the same success.  If you’ve faced personal tragedy like my friend Dan, take hope from his story and example.  Use time, place, relationships and heartfelt giving to heal your heart.  Doing so will enable you to create beauty and success from the ashes of disaster.

No comments: