Sunday, July 15, 2012

Being the One


“I was making phone calls asking for others to help when it dawned on me that I didn’t need to wait for them.  I could go do something right now.”

Jessi Butterfield

Being the One

My daughter Jessi is always willing to help other people in any way possible.  In talking with her the other day I was glad to see that this hasn’t changed.  When she packed a small bag, at home in Utah, and went off to chase her dreams in New York City, she knew she would be relying on lots of people to help her find success.
She slept on lots of couches and knocked on many doors as she worked to build a good solid business that would provide her with enough money pay rent and buy food.  She was touched by the kindness of others and she has never forgotten their goodness.

While she was working to help a good friend of ours not long ago, she was busily making phone calls and sending emails to her network of friends to gather support.  She called me and said, “It’s taking so long to get enough help together.  I wish I could make it happen faster!”
During this conversation I couldn’t see her face, but I could feel her earnestness.  Her sincerity swept into my heart with the speed and force of an avalanche sweeping down a steep mountain.  I could feel her pain. 

Then there was a quick change.
 “I just realized that while it’s taking a long time to gather all the help needed, I don’t need to wait myself.  I don’t need permission from anyone else to go give help right now.  The need is immediate and I can go help immediately!  I know I can’t handle all of it, but I can do something right now.”

When I heard those words come from her mouth it was as if serenity had suddenly consumed my whole being; she has learned the genius of the power of one.  She is the embodiment of individual freedom.  We can all become like her.
I talked with another friend earlier this week and he said, “I’ve never lived in a time where there is so much need.  I’m just one person, what can I do?”

We can all trust in our power of one.  This is what we can do individually.  We all have the freedom to make a choice to go out and help where we can.  One of us can’t help everyone at once.  But, if thousands of us go and help right now; offer what we have to others, it will have a huge impact.  No.  The world will not suddenly change overnight, but our hearts will.  Our hearts will become larger and more generous with each act of kindness we perform.  Will you be the one for someone else today?

No comments: