Monday, April 16, 2012

Hearing Words and Learining Anew

“Did you learn something this morning?”

Bonita Hutchison

Hearing Words and Learning Anew

Bonita asked me if I learned something last Thursday morning.  I said no, but then stopped and said, “I need to think about it for a while.”  This is the perfect example of how I’m just beginning to learn from, and be always amazed, at the difference between hearing something new and learning something.  I used to think they’re the same; but they’re not!  Since I discovered the difference between the two, I've learned to take some time to think about what other people say before simply giving a flat "no" when asked if I learned something.  So rather than giving Bonita a flat “no” I spent time over the past few days rehearsing the presented words through my thoughts and as a result, have discovered at least two important things as a direct result of the seminar we attended.

First, the thing I love about being involved with Special Olympics is that it provides me with an active role to fulfill one of my core personal values and desires.  It allows me an avenue to stand up and be an advocate voice for others that don't have the ability to be a strong voice for themselves.  Helping other people gives my life significance.  Volunteering with nonprofit organizations such as Special Olympics Utah allows me to work with like minded people on behalf of others who may need some protection from predators and a hand up to become their best selves.  Aren't we all in a race to become the best people we can become before our time on life's stage comes to a quick end?

Second, I have known for some time that having fun is an important aspect of life.  But, I have the type of personality that drives me to work hard constantly.  It's almost an unquenchable thirst to work until I drop.  Too bad for me and others like me!  The presenter on this particular morning offered me the chance to live a better, more fulfilling life by demonstrating that at least as much, if not more, can be accomplished by breaking the shackles of being a drone-like-work –statue, to drink deeply from the fountain of friendship by having fun while enhancing relationships.  This is a trait I am thinking about more and more as I age and ponder what has meaning in my life.  Because of her words, I’m now motivated to spend more time internally so as to seek the fun person I know is hiding in there.  I'm excited to give the world a chance to meet that person soon.

No, I didn’t hear anything new during this terrific seminar, but I'm glad I went so I could once again discover that hearing old words can be an important catalyst to learn new things.   I may have allowed this opportunity to pass me by if my friend Bonita hadn’t prompted me with one of the best questions ever asked me; “Did you learn anything new this morning?”  I'm real glad to have her as a friend and wanted you to know how much I admire her.  Thanks so much for being part of my life and for making a difference in it!  Let’s all go out and make a difference in the lives of others today.

No comments: