Sunday, February 19, 2012

Being Personable Isn't Just for Dogs


A patchwork dog covered in white, gray, brown and tan spots.

Being Personable Isn’t Just for Dogs
I have to admit that as I walked out of my house I was sort of tetchy about it.  It was still fairly early in the morning; there was a light glow of pink radiating from the mountains shading my land from the approaching sun.  I knew morning was coming, but the clouds were still hurling snow toward the sun as if they were trying to blow the sun back to the East where it belonged.

I pressed a button to open the large door to the West, where it was still dark and snowing, so I could begin to venture into my day.  Stepping down the four steps in front of me I descended to the cold floor so I could zip my boots around my still warm ankles.  My black dog stuck her nose just ahead of me and slinked down and away, just out of my view.  I knew exactly where she would go.  She is there with me every morning and always has a better attitude about it than I do.

I piled hay into my wheel barrow and began to press forward with my water proof mittens gripping the handles in a sure handed manner.  I walked up a small slope, pushing snow away as I walked.  Sure enough, my companion was waiting for me just up ahead.  She was at her usual spot.  I threw hay into my large feeder and watched as my steer and horse walked up to begin to eat.  My dog barked and ran along the fence.  For some reason she thinks its fun.  A smile sort of cracked my face a little as I watched this ritual and I begin to walk the wheel barrow back down toward the house.  The light began to grow as I started to walk.

My entourage also began to grow.  A patchwork dog covered in white, gray, brown and tan spots raced past me and tried to get my attention.  I’ve seen him before, and I saw him then, but I didn’t let him know I noticed him.  At this time of day I usually don’t feel real friendly.  I trudge forward.
He danced around me.

I scowled at him

He brushed past me with his four legs doing a sort of two-step.

I ignored him.

He played with Cricket.  I watched them as they frolicked in the snow and dodged the few remaining snowflakes that were floating past.  The dogs were feigning a fight and flight routine.  The sun was now chasing the snow away as it shot rays of light to capture the sky.

The dogs captured me in the entrance of my big west facing door.  The patchwork dog rubbed up against my leg and looked up at me with friendly, eager eyes.  His look was one of innocence and friendship.  Then he sat, leaning on my right leg as he looked up at me with wanting eyes and a flailing tongue.

Cricket sees her opportunity and sat as well, leaning against my left leg, and looked up at me with expecting eyes.

I looked down at both dogs and let out a hearty laugh.  “You win!  You win!” I said as I reached down and rubbed the two heads with two hands.
 
Somehow we all got what we wanted.  Two of us worked to offer a warm hearted friendship and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

The dogs somehow became just like the sun to the snow.  Their hearts, filled with personable goodness brought rays of light that chased away my icy heart and reminded me of the importance of being personable to everyone

A close friend of mine once gave me a poem entitled, “Ten Things You can Learn From a Dog.” On this day I discovered one more.  Discover being personable for yourself and see that you’ll soon be the one melting icy hearts.

No comments: