Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sheldon's Gentle and Good Touch


Broken ceramics, a twisted rooster and a ninety-year-old man

Sheldon’s Gentle and Good Touch
I walked into a new building filled with a locally owned and operated business.  It looked like the kind of place where I could get the type of old fashioned service lots of people crave these days.  The shop was busy.  There was an interesting mix of people all around me; young people, old people and some just in between.   Some were looking through the surrounding shelves, but most everyone was gathered around the counter of this old fashioned Pharmacy.

I was there to pick up some medicine for the first time.  I had stopped in a couple of days earlier to look at some ice packs and had been impressed when the owner of the store had come out from behind the counter to speak with me in a friendly and helpful manner.  It was his desire to be helpful that encouraged my return.

Then, as if to cry for communal focus, there was a crashing sound behind me.  I watched as more than fifteen heads all turned in an effort to see what had been broken.  It was as if we were all in a restaurant and someone carrying arms full of plates dropped them in heap.  No one moved except to turn their heads back to a forward position.  There was nothing to see, since the shelves were blocking our view, so the short-lived unison came to an end.  But it was not the finish.
 
There was quiet movement detected from my left eye and I turned slightly to watch Sheldon Birch leave the Pharmacy counter and venture to the aisle where the crash had originated.  Then I saw his head sink below the shelving and disappear.   I was curious so I carefully walked in that direction to see what was happening.

I found an unobtrusive vantage point and observed Sheldon kneeling on the floor next to a man who looked frail and aged.  I’m not a very good estimator when it comes to age, but this man was old indeed.  If I were to venture a guess at his age it would be very close to ninety.  Sheldon was talking in quiet, gentle tones assuring this elderly man that everything was alright.  They were both picking up the pieces of broken ceramics and a metal rooster.

I almost walked over to ask if I could sweep the specs of disaster up.  I took one-eighth of a step and froze as I saw Sheldon help the older man up and assure him once again that the rooster could be put back together and the other items were, “no big deal.”  It was a display I’ll never forget.
The man said, “I’ll be back tomorrow.”

Sheldon patted him on the shoulder and said, “Good, I’ll see you.  Thanks for coming in!”
No one else in the store knew what happened.  Sheldon simply walked back to the counter and began to help others.  As I picked up my package Sheldon saw me walking toward the exit.
“Do you have any questions I can help you with, Lynn?”

I lurched at the question!  I had only met him once a couple of days before and was stunned that he remembered my name.

“No, thank you!” I replied.  “I really appreciate your help!”

The questions I should have asked, wanted to ask were: “What has made Sheldon such a kind, gentle man?  What have I done to be fortunate enough to have met him?  Why didn’t anyone else in the store see what happened?”

I kept those questions hidden in my throat and heart.  I’ll keep asking them to myself along with:  I watched what happened and have a new imprint for good, gentle behavior, so what am I going to do about it?  I want to be better now because of Sheldon’s gentle goodness.  Will you go about doing good in a kind, gentle way with me today?

No comments: