Monday, January 16, 2012

Never Lose Heart


“Lose heart and you lose everything.”
- Proverbs 4:23

Never Lose Heart
I was reading about one of my favorite people this week.  He was born 1870.  When he was forty-four World War I began.  It ended in November 0f 1918 and he was sent shortly thereafter to assist in the rebuilding of Europe.  He returned to the United States in 1921 and began to work as a volunteer in several organizations such as the Sons of the American Revolution and the Boy Scouts of America.  He continued his community work throughout the Great Depression and World War II until he passed away just after the end of the war in 1951.  I have read many of his writings, through the years, but never took the time to look at the world through his eyes in time until now.

Seeing history through his eyes has changed my whole view of him as well as of the way I look at today’s world and its potential futures.   As I took a chronicled look back at his life as a reference in his contemporary world, his very stature grew immeasurably in my mind.  I now see a man who, when faced with some of the most challenging events in world history, stood tall.  He never lost heart!

This new approach, for me, of combining the study of history while looking through its contemporary lives has given me new hope.  It has shown me that one life can make an amazing difference even when everything good and wholesome seems to be on the verge of total collapse.  I can look our current challenges squarely in the face now, knowing that others before me have faced as great or greater challenges over most of their lives.

There may be a time when the hearts of men and women fail, but it will not be this day if you will join me by going out and doing good.

No comments: