Sunday, May 15, 2011

Transporter to the Past

"One of your class mates has moved this with her for over forty years."

  • Carol Butterfield

Transporter to the Past

Lots of us tend to get discouraged from time to time when we feel as if we aren't making as much progress as we had hoped. Perhaps it's because you haven't made as much money as you think you should have by this time in life. Perhaps you don't have the power you've always assumed you'd have. Maybe you feel beat down; that your dreams have passed you by. If this sounds as at all familiar, I understand because there have been such moments for me. Yesterday there was a different kind of moment for me.

I was just going out with my wife, daughter and Mother for a Mother's Day Celebration when my Mother asked my daughter to run into her house and get a paper she wanted to give me. I was curious to be sure. I had no clue as to what it was and as it turned out my wildest guess would not have come close to the truth.

When my daughter came back we all got into the car and my Mother handed the paper to me saying, "My neighbor asked me to give this to you. His daughter was in school with you as a child and she has been carrying this with her ever since."

I took the almost newsprint-type paper in my hands and began to unfold its three creases. It crackled quietly and felt smooth to my touch. It had been preserved in the most meticulous way. Its color was bright and the paper was wrinkle free. The hand writing was that of a child.

To my lovely Mother

Mother you are wonderful

You act like a Brother.

You are the loveliest lady in town.

You should be a circus clown.

By Lynn Butterfield

I read it aloud. My daughter, wife and Mother laughed. Then Annie, my daughter said, "Oh! That's so cute!

I felt a little embarrassed. I was a little amused. Then I was amazed!

I was astonished at this little poem's revelation. I have been going through life without remembering who I used to be. I've been looking into the future to who I hope to become for so long that I had forgotten to see how far I've already come. Perhaps you can understand the lack of fulfillment such a focus in life can have.

If you can, then my little poem can offer you the same hope it's offered me. You really have made great progress in your life. You just haven't taken notice of it. So take notice of it now. Take pleasure in your growth, your victories, and your life. I'm going to do that a lot more now that I have a little reminder.

I've decided to frame my little aide memoire and hang it on my wall so I can look at it regularly. That way, it can speak to me in a way that nothing else can; it'll say, you've come a long way and don't forget it! It'll be my transporter from the past and my window to see that the future holds great success and growth. What will your window be?


 

No comments: