Monday, May 23, 2011

Robb’s Plan of Simplification

"I've been simplifying my life."

  • Robb Genco

Robb's Plan of Simplification

We were driving through Provo Canyon. It is a place that one can't help but to notice nature's beauty. And, the beauty didn't disappoint. We turned one corner and felt the breath rush through our lungs in a gasp as water spilled from the top of chocolate colored cliffs and cascade down to the raging river below.

"Look at that!" Robb said as he looked and pointed at the water fall. "It won't be long until I'm going to be fishing in that river!"

"That sounds fun." I replied. "I kept thinking that I'd go fishing again, but when I never went I gave all my fishing gear away."

"You should get some new gear!" Robb said.

We kept driving and the beauty kept presenting itself to us. We were surrounded by towering white capped mountains enveloped in bright blue sky.

"My coon hound is going to love running through this national forest!" Robb laughed as we neared Deer Creek. "I can't wait to be out there with him!"

Robb continued to tell me about how he was continuing the process of simplifying his life so he could spend more time enjoying the simple pleasures of life.

"People seem to be in a continual rush now. The sad thing is that they don't even know what they're rushing toward. They don't know how to accept the natural beauty all around them and just enjoy it anymore. I just keep simplifying my life so I can enjoy it more and more." Robb taught me.

As we drove past Deer Creek Reservoir later in the afternoon I thought back over the last week and realized that I had been one of the people he was describing. I remembered the conversation I'd had with my friends Allison and Jennifer where they told me that I needed to take some time off and get some rest. I looked out the window and saw a huge increase in the number of people, from just a couple of hours earlier, taking their advice and they hadn't even heard it!

I remember thinking that this day was one of the most beautiful days I could ever remember and that it wasn't more than a few days ago when someone had commented to me about the beautiful day it had been. I hadn't noticed. I was too busy working to even acknowledge that day's gift of beauty!

I looked out at all the people engaging with the natural beauty of the mountains through my car window. I was thinking about the words Robb had been speaking to me. I decided then and there to plan an outing with my family so we could do nothing but enjoy each other's company and the beauty that surrounds us. Then, to make it real I came home and told everyone to put the date on their calendar!

Now I'm making the commitment to you as well. I'm going on a little outing with my family this coming weekend. It's something that's long overdue. It's a good start to following Robb's plan of simplification. I invite you to join me in creating a life that will allow acceptance of the natural beauty surrounding us and enjoying it in simple ways!

No comments: