Monday, May 2, 2011

The Best Hockey Player I’ve Ever Known

"I would give up playing in the NHL for this."

  • John Martin

The Best Hockey Player I've Ever Known

I've known John Martin for most of my life and have admired him the whole time. We met at the ice rink and spent many late nights practicing there together. We traveled together to play games. We were on the same team. But, we were never the same. His skills on the ice set him apart from me and everyone else. He's always been the best hockey player I've ever known.

John still plays hockey and he does some coaching as well. To the casual observer he has lived his life around the sport his calls his own. He even lives in a place called Alaska; the perfect climate for a man who loves the ice. And, its' there that he has raised his family.

Not long ago I had the chance to meet his family again. John's daughter was getting married and she kindly invited me to come to a reception to honor her special event. As soon as I walked into the reception hall I saw and was able to greet her. Then I began to scan the room so I could greet her father. It's been more than ten years since I've seen him.

There was music playing and there were people dancing almost everywhere I looked. I saw John across the room so I began to dance my way over. In a short time I gave him a stout embrace of friendship. He is still the strong man I remember, but one thing has changed. He's not alone anymore; he's created a strong, wonderful family.

As we stood talking, I watched something akin to the sun beam from his eyes as he described and introduced the members of his family to me. He told me of their accomplishments and even a little of their personal challenges. I met his first grandchild. He has a growing legacy. I could tell how much he loves his family and how the center of his world has changed. But I didn't know how deep the change was until he said, "I would give up playing in the NHL for this!"

Another change was occurring as the night was deepening. It was time for me to bid my friend a farewell. And this time I was bidding my friend a different farewell too. My vision of John has been forever changed. Yes. He's still the best hockey player I've ever known but he's become a lot more than that. He's also become one of the best father's I've ever known.

While the change happened in minutes from my point of view, I know that it has really taken much of a life time. Or, perhaps I should say life times. A family contains more than one life. In any case, it's at least one person investing in the growth and happiness of another. I can see what it's done to change John's life and he's once again caused me to admire what he's done with his time, effort and skill.

Creating strong bonds with other people who are important to you will take all three of these ingredients. But, you have all three and you can build your skills one step at a time. I know that's what John has done because I've known him long enough to have seen him grow over the years. I know he's faced challenges and that he'll continue to face them just as you and I will. But, I also know that the love he receives from the people he cares for have him skating through life in a way he never could on his own.

You can too. So, begin to invest your time, effort and skill in someone important to you today and then look in the mirror and you'll soon see that sunbeam in your own eyes.

No comments: