Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Great Investment

"I could see changes coming so I invested in myself."

  • David Remington

A Great Investment

There are lots of things that impact us from day to day. Some things impact us physically and some things impact us mentally. There are things we have control over and there are other things that seem to have control over us. But how do you tell the difference? After all, it appears as if most things happen to us, or around us, and all we can do is react after the fact, but I've found that that's not the case.

My daughter called me the other day and talked with me about having her wisdom teeth removed. "We spent a lot of money getting my teeth straightened and I don't want them to be ruined." She said.

So, we made arrangements for fly her out to our home in Utah and have Dr. David Remington, our orthodontist, remove them. I was pleased to have the chance to sit and talk with him for a while. We're good friends and I always learn a lot from our conversations.

I asked him how things were going in his business. I've always been impressed with the way he's operated his practice. When I was his client and he was straightening my teeth it was amazing for me to see how busy his office was. But, now things were different.

"Braces are a luxury." He said. "When the economy changed I could see that I'd be in trouble if I didn't make some adjustments to my business. So, I made an investment in myself. I updated some of my skills and knowledge; now I offer a whole line of new products and services so my business is good." He has been impacted by a changed economy but what he did through foresight has made a huge, positive impact.

So how do you tell if something has complete control over you? It's easy. You simply make a decision that it won't. Then you implement your plan to exercise your free will. We're all impacted by things that we can't control, but we can always control our reaction to what's happening around us. What you decide will have a huge impact on you as well as on those around you. Make an investment in yourself today. There is no greater investment!

No comments: