Monday, December 6, 2010

All From One Seed

"Seeds from Tooele Valley Nursery"

  • Wade Anderson

All From One Seed

I spent a lot of time this last summer keeping up with my friend Jeff Geer. I loved talking with him on a regular basis because of his excitement. He's one of the most avid gardeners I know. In fact, his wife Linda said, "I think he's torn every plant in our yard out and has replaced it with a vegetable."

When I'd talk with Jeff his whole face would light up as he'd tell me of how his plants were growing large and producing much more food than he ever imagined. "I love coming home at night and walking outside into my back yard. I grab some of this and some of that and then walk into my kitchen and make a fresh salad for dinner! I don't even have to go to the grocery store much anymore."

I've been thinking about this for the past week or so because another friend, Wade Anderson, was kind enough to give me some vegetable seeds. He knows I'll store them carefully over the winter and then put them in the ground this spring. I love getting the seeds for two reasons. First, they'll provide us with fresh food to eat and to share over the spring, summer and fall. Second, they remind me of the real meaning of the "Law of the Harvest."

I love the Law of the Harvest. You know, it's that little saying you've heard over and over again, "You reap what you sow." But it's much more than that! Its real meaning is, "What you do comes back to you multiplied."

When you think about what can come to life as a result of one little seed, it's truly amazing! One small tomato seed can produce many more tomatoes and hundreds of more seeds. But don't forget, this applies to more than just gardening.

It applies to everything we do in life. It's a law you and I should keep in mind all of the time. Every word and every action is like a small seed that can produce many more actions and many more seeds. And, it works both ways. You can produce seeds to produce both good and bad results in your life. I don't know about you, but I prefer to have tasty vegetables growing in my garden. The weeds just don't make me happy at all.

We can all be happy if we simply keep the Law of the Harvest in mind. Just live its tenets: First, make sure you're starting with the seeds you want to grow. Second, place them in the environment where they'll have the best chance to grow well. Third, cultivate them on a regular basis. Fourth, harvest them when they're at their very best. Finally make sure to enjoy your harvest with as many senses as possible so you'll get the most satisfaction you can.

No comments: