Monday, July 5, 2010

A Trusted Advisor Makes a Difference

"When I just took two steps forward a whole new vista opened to my view."

  • Quinn Header

A Trusted Advisor Makes a Difference

There have been times in my life when no matter how much I drew from my own experience and knowledge it just wasn't enough. Have you ever had those moments in your life? You know, the moment when you really wanted to know just what to do but didn't?

Such times have made me feel as if I were a hunter, out in the forest, without any map or ability to get up high and see the way to my goal. That's when everything begins to look the same, every turn, every path just takes me to the same place, no where!

I was thinking just that during a discussion with a couple of friends yesterday. We were talking about how there are times in life when we just need to draw on more knowledge and experience than we have at any one moment in time. That's when I brought up the old saying, "You can't see the forest for the trees."

As soon as I brought that up I saw a twinkle begin in the corner of Quinn's eyes. It was a kind of sunrise twinkle; I saw it begin in the outside corner of his eyes and watched its light move across his brow until it exploded in full brightness. He had reached a moment of epiphany.

"I remember deer hunting one time," he said. "We were in an area I wasn't familiar with. I was with a friend who knew the area but he wasn't well enough to go out with us. Still, he wanted to help so we decided to go to an area near his home where he could guide us through radio contact. You see, he had a telescope and could see the entire side of the mountain from a vantage point I couldn't see. I was too close to see the whole picture! "

He continued, "I was there walking around and couldn't see anything but sagebrush. Then I got a radio call from my friend who told me there was a herd of deer just up a head of me. I told him there couldn't be. I had a clear view and couldn't see anything up ahead."

That's when his friend said, "Take two steps forward!"

"I took the two steps forward and to my surprise a whole new grand vista opened right before my eyes. I could see the deer! I could see a whole beautiful valley laid out before me! All it took was literally two steps. I just couldn't see if before!"

Working with someone who knows the terrain and has experience in it makes all the difference. It's what I call "The Trusted Advisor Principle." You can call it anything you want, a friend, a parent, the local gentry. It doesn't matter as long as you're able to have a great relationship with someone who has the knowledge and experience necessary to supplement your own.

If you haven't begun to develop such a relationship take the time to observe the people around you. Find someone you'd like to emulate. Watch them for a while to see if they'll fill the bill. Make sure they're honest and of sound character. If they are, develop your relationship and then reap the reward together. You'll soon find both of your lives will be richer and more successful.

Here's to the new vistas that will open up for you!

No comments: