Sunday, July 25, 2010

Maintaining Flexibility in the Face of Truth

The Pillsbury Dough Bull?

Maintaining Flexibility in the Face of Truth

Some things are just common sense. At least that's what I always think. Yet, there are times when the truth is right in front of my face and I don't see it. One morning this week I discovered that, just like everyone else, I assume a lot and don't always take the time to look for the real truth and see things how they really are.

I got up early one morning so I could enjoy the cool of the day and do a little work in my field. It was the perfect temperature to be outside working. The sun hadn't charged over the mountains yet, but there was good light. I remember thinking things were just right as I walked with my dogs at my side and my horses just up ahead.

And, there was one other animal in the picture. It was the Pillsbury Dough Bull. He's pretty shy and likes to keep his distance for the most part, but since I feed him hay all winter he's willing to walk up to a fairly close to me. This happened to be the case on this very morning. I had a shovel in my hands and my eyes were darting around, near the feet of Pillsbury, as I looked for thistles to dig out of the thick grass.

As I was looking around I caught a glimpse of something hanging beneath the cow. I wasn't really looking for anything but thistles so I wasn't sure what it was. Still, I knew that something wasn't right so I bent down a little lower and looked specifically at the underside of my prized bull.

That's when I saw it. The truth was hanging right in front of me! It was an udder!

Now, I can see you thinking, where's your common sense Lynn! What's wrong with you!

Well, the truth is that I never really looked. Yes. I do know the difference between a bull and a heifer.

But in this case I don't even remember why I thought she was a bull except that someone, I think the guy who sold her to me as a calf, said she was a bull. No matter. I just didn't take the time to really look to see what the truth was! Now I was faced with the task of adjusting my thinking so it's in line with the truth. And it's made me wonder what other beliefs I have that I just haven't taken the time to examine in depth. So, here's my suggestion to you and me.

Take the time to list your core values, the principles by which you live your life. Then begin a process to examine each one. Study the concepts from their very roots to see what you discover. I'm in the process of reading a book entitled "The Five Thousand Year Leap," so as to allow me to inspect the basis of my roots as a freeman, and its effect on me has been to stir the very depths of my soul. Through it I've discovered truths that have caused me to adjust my beliefs as a result of seeing the truth. I'm sure I'll have the same experience as I begin to review my other core beliefs as well; and so will you.

I hope you'll join me and make some discoveries of your own. And, when you do you may find that you need to change what you do and even perhaps what you call some things. So, here's my first change: The Pillsbury Dough Bull is now officially the Pillsbury Dough Girl.

No comments: