Sunday, July 18, 2010

Creating Strong Roots

"If the roots are strong, it will come back."

  • Wade Anderson

Creating Strong Roots

I have some trees in my yard called Mimosas. They're a tree whose leaves are very sensitive to the touch and the sun. During the day, the leaf clusters open fully to the sun in an effort to capture as much of the light and warmth as they possibly can. In the evening , as the sun begins to fade behind the mountains and the air cools, the leaf clusters close in on themselves as they try to try to hold on to the sun's warmth.

As the warmth of the summer grows they flower pink in globular clusters. The flowers are very delicate and they wave in the air as if they were single strands of a spider's web. I'm sure that's why these trees as also called "Silk Trees." In the summer my trees with their showy pink filaments have an intoxicating scent. I really look forward to seeing them each year.

They're always the last trees to leaf out each spring and since I wait with such anticipation I worry each spring that they've died over the winter. This year my fears proved to be true and I lost two of my eight trees!

I was in distress, but I after a month I was resigned to my loss. So, I went to my friend Wade Anderson, the owner of Tooele Valley Nursery, and began to look for replacement trees. As we walked through rows of trees we talked about my trees and why they may have died.

Wade said, "Lots of trees died this year because it got warm too early and then it got cold again after they trees budded. If the roots [of your tree] are strong, it will come back. "

With this new sprig of hope, I decided to wait before I purchased a new tree and began to watch. The roots of my trees were indeed strong! Not long after my conversation with Wade a new sprout began to spring from the base of both trees and now they're well on their way to becoming a new main trunk for these two trees. I'm delighted and I've learned something of great value to share with you.

Everyone will have challenges in life and one can never tell when they'll hit. But, when you've created strong roots within your soul, they'll withstand major challenges that will surely try to break you. I know this to be true because I've experienced it.

If you're being challenged right now please know that I believe you have the strength within to overcome anything that will come your way. Draw on your education, faith, and experience to weather the challenge. You can do it!

Then, when the storm is over, follow the example of my trees and use your roots to push new branches toward the sky and new roots deeper into the earth. Never stop learning, never lose your faith and always ask the question, "What lesson should I learn from this challenge," so your experience will be used for your benefit and the benefit of others.

No comments: